Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Having problems starting the iPad after charging.

I've left the iPad charging off the mains overnight and have had problems starting. I've got a black/blank screen and upon pressing and holding the sleep/home button an image of a battery appears. I release the buttons and eventually after pressing the buttons I get my home screen indicating a 100% charge. This has happened twice in the past few days when I've allowed the battery power to reduce to about 5%. My questions is - Does this problem occur when a battery's power is allowed to reduce to 5% or lower before charging and/or is the battery dying and requiring a replacement?

iPod classic 160GB (Late 2009)

Posted on Feb 14, 2016 6:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2016 5:00 AM

Without knowing how old the iPad is, it would be difficult to blame it on the battery dying. I never let my iOS devices batteries get that low before I recharge them. In fact, I put my iPad Air 2 and iPhone 5s on the charger every night in order to get a full charge for the next day. i do use the iPad all day long at work, so I need to recharge it or take the charger and cable with me, which I prefer not to do. I prefer to do the charging overnight.

Why don't you do a little experimenting and not let the device run that low. Maybe charge it when it gets to 25% left and see if that makes a difference.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 15, 2016 5:00 AM in response to RGBC

Without knowing how old the iPad is, it would be difficult to blame it on the battery dying. I never let my iOS devices batteries get that low before I recharge them. In fact, I put my iPad Air 2 and iPhone 5s on the charger every night in order to get a full charge for the next day. i do use the iPad all day long at work, so I need to recharge it or take the charger and cable with me, which I prefer not to do. I prefer to do the charging overnight.

Why don't you do a little experimenting and not let the device run that low. Maybe charge it when it gets to 25% left and see if that makes a difference.

Feb 15, 2016 6:03 AM in response to RGBC

I Suppose that I am learning something as well then. I have an iPad 3 that I purchased in 2012 when it was first released. It will be 4 years old in April. When I start it up, (I have an iPad Air 2 that I use as my every day iPad) it has that same delay that you are talking about. Maybe that is a sign of the battery starting to go.

Keep an eye on it and if you think it is degrading, make an appointment at an Apple Store - if that's feasible for you - they can check the battery health.

Having problems starting the iPad after charging.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.