Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac G3 Tiger Installation "The Disc You Inserted is Not Readable by this Computer"

Hi,

I am trying to install Mac OS X Tiger on my iMac G3 slot loading 400mH. The system is all compatible as i checked before installing. I was able to boot off of the first disc just fine. It installed correctly until it asked for disc 2. When I put in the disc it spins a little and then does absolutely nothing. It just sits there still asking for the disc. After letting it run all night I decided the only option was to hold the power button. When I turned the machine back on it gave me the error "The disc you inserted is not readable by this computer". It then ejected the disc.

What are my options?

One thing I forgot to mention is that I am creating these discs on windows with a program called TransMac. It was the first program I have found that was able to create bootable discs for Mac. The fact that it created the first one perfectly fine leads me to believe that it is the Mac and not my Windows computer. I could be completely wrong and if so what is a better program. I do not own any other Macs other than the G3.

Thanks in advanced!

Other Specs:

iMac G3

400mH

256 GB RAM

120GB HDD with Mac OS 9 and OS X Panther (I am attempting to upgrade Panther)

iMac, Mac OS X (10.4), Mac OS X 10.4 Upgrade

Posted on Feb 14, 2016 6:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2016 10:41 AM

Historically, Macs have trouble booting from burned system disks. As you say, the first one worked so you could be on the right path. Have you tried making a new second disk from the same program? Maybe there was a media issue or a burn error.

The other problem could be the source of the Tiger install. Apple never distributed it freely so every copy you find on the internet--free or paid--is pirated and may even be compromised. It has happened more than you think. There are lots of reports around here of people geting an OSX version as an internet download and even paying for it, only to find it doesn't work at all. I've seen Mac OS downloads offered for sale even on places like eBay (I report them).

So this begs the next question--where did you get Tiger?

If we get this worked out, we ned to continue this as I have some experiences with Panther and Tiger on the same iMac model that may be useful

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 14, 2016 10:41 AM in response to Panpooper

Historically, Macs have trouble booting from burned system disks. As you say, the first one worked so you could be on the right path. Have you tried making a new second disk from the same program? Maybe there was a media issue or a burn error.

The other problem could be the source of the Tiger install. Apple never distributed it freely so every copy you find on the internet--free or paid--is pirated and may even be compromised. It has happened more than you think. There are lots of reports around here of people geting an OSX version as an internet download and even paying for it, only to find it doesn't work at all. I've seen Mac OS downloads offered for sale even on places like eBay (I report them).

So this begs the next question--where did you get Tiger?

If we get this worked out, we ned to continue this as I have some experiences with Panther and Tiger on the same iMac model that may be useful

Feb 14, 2016 10:41 AM in response to Allan Jones

Thank you for the quick response!

I managed to get it to work by not using TransMac for the last three discs. TransMac allowed me to create a bootable disc for disc 1 but then would not make the other discs correctly. I used a program called PowerISO to make the last three and it solved my problem. I'm not sure why that made a difference but the installation was painless once I got the second disc working.

I downloaded Tiger off of a website that I found with a Google search and downloaded the four DMG files.

I hope this makes some sense. Thanks again!

iMac G3 Tiger Installation "The Disc You Inserted is Not Readable by this Computer"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.