Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Quicktime Player 7.7.9 for Windows Failed to initialize Error 2096

I tried to open QuickTime Player 7.7.9 in Windows 7 Home Premium SP 1 with the latest updates for February 2016 and a pop-up message opened with the message of: QuickTime failed to initialize Error 2096. There was also something about verifying that the application had been installed properly.

I opened the Control Panel/Programs and Features/QuickTime 7 and selected repair. The installer opened ran the repair and closed. I restarted the computer and tried to run QuickTime player again with the same result. I uninstalled QuickTime player, restarted the computer, downloaded and installed QuickTime Player from Apple's web site.

I tried to run the QuickTime Player again which returned the same message.

I somehow found and ran the installer for QuickTime Player 7.7.6(1680.95.31). I am able to access the QuickTime Player. I checked for updates and ran the update for 7.7.9 and once again get: QuickTime failed to initialize Error 2096.

Any ideas why 7.7.9 is not working for me other than the computer gremlins are messing with my mind.

Tom R

null-OTHER, Windows 7

Posted on Feb 14, 2016 9:20 AM

6 replies

Feb 14, 2016 7:47 PM in response to Jacumba

Hello Jacumba,

My apologies for being unclear. Let me try again.

1. I tried to access my installed copy of QuickTime Player and received the message: QuickTime failed to initialize Error 2096. There was also something about verifying that the application had been installed properly.

2. I went into the Windows 7 Control Panel; Programs and Features; scrolled down and clicked on the icon for QuickTime. Three options became available Uninstall, Change, or Repair.

3. I selected Repair and the Apple Installer opened installing another copy of QuickTime 7.7.9.

4. I tried to open QuickTime again and received the same message of QuickTime failed to initialize Error 2096. There was also something about verifying that the application had been installed properly. I checked Windows 7 Action Center to see if there where any message and did not find anything

5. I uninstalled QuickTime, restarted my computer, went the QuickTime Player free installation page and installed QuickTime Player 7.7.9.

6. I again tried to open QuickTime 7.7.9 and got the message QuickTime failed to initialize Error 2096. There was also something about verifying that the application had been installed properly. Checking Windows 7 Action Center there was the Warning Message of QuickTime 7 Unsuccessful application installation. Going into the details I found this

QuickTime 7

Problem:

Unsuccessful application installation

Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: QuickTime 7. Product Version: 7.76.80.95. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: Apple Inc.. Installation success or error status: 1602.

7. I went back to the Control Panel, Programs and Features, and clicked on the QuickTime icon this time clicking on the uninstall option.

8. I began searching Apple and somehow stumbled on to a page that had Installers for QuickTime 7.7.9 and 7.7.6. Since 7.7.9 had failed to install twice and probably not during the update back in January I ran the installer for 7.7.6 and QuickTime 7.7.6 worked.

9. I checked for updates which returned 7.7.9 and I installed the update which again appeared to install QuickTime Player 7.7.9. I again attempted to open QuickTime 7.7.9 and received QuickTime failed to initialize Error 2096 again. I uninstalled QuickTime again thinking I would be able to install 7.7.6 and discovered I did not have the installer in my downloads folder.

10. I did not save the page I found the installers so I am currently without QuickTime Player.

Hopefully my issue has been clearly explained.

Feb 16, 2016 7:32 AM in response to snrdg2801

Hi Jacumba,

Note: This is my second attempt, the first edit to update my reply returned a message that the edit could not be saved.

I did use Windows 7 Control Panel\Programs and Features to remove QuickTime Player from my computer so I skipped that part of the direction to Litesleep. I did check for the files QuickTime.qts and QuickTimeVR.qtx in C:\Windows\System32 going through first manually and then by using the search feature both methods did not find the files.

I will have to wait a bit to run the Windows Installer Clean-up Utility.

Quicktime Player 7.7.9 for Windows Failed to initialize Error 2096

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.