Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

blast from the past

My son fell victim to the "blast from the past" scam in which users reset their iphones to the date Jan 1, 1970 and reboot. This effectively renders the phone inoperable. I've been on hold with Apple Support hoping to fix it. Anyone have any advice?

iPhone 5s, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Feb 14, 2016 9:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2016 11:06 AM

The only chance to solve that yourself would be putting it into DFU mode and try to restore it again.

Check this user help article about it:

I set my iOS device to January 1, 1970...

If this does not work, only Apple might be able to get your device back to life again.

Find an Apple Authorized Service Provider

18 replies

Feb 14, 2016 11:33 AM in response to Philly_Phan

The only reason I saw one was from another place I had searched and found a screenshot of one of them. It troubles me that people see these things on Facebook and other social media outlets and are so willing to make these modifications without any research. A single search on Google produces a plethora of news articles and the like warning uses how bad this is and that it will brick the device. I read one of the posts here earlier where someone was telling others that the DFU restore would not work, and he knew this because despite warnings about it bricking the device, he was confident in the DFU restore fix, so he purposely did it to his device. That is just pitiful.

Feb 14, 2016 11:51 AM in response to AMHP1

Update: We've successfully been able to reset and then recover from a backup he performed 2 days ago. I'm thankful we didn't have to resort to an appointment at the Apple store.

I, too, was questioning WHY anyone would do this, but he is 13... I know my 13yo mistakes were prior to the existence of cell phones or any very sophisticated technology. 😉 He's agreed that he will check with mom and dad before he does anything like this again. Now he's agreed to help with dinner since I spent a few hours on this project I wasn't anticipating.

Thank you all for your help!

Feb 14, 2016 11:59 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

As each of my children reached the age where they would be somewhat independent at gatherings with other kids, I strongly emphasized one thing to them. "If you're ever in a situation that just doesn't feel right, call me and I'll come get you immediately and I promise that I'll never ask you what happened." My older son called me once. This was some twenty-five years ago and I still don't know what took place. My younger one never had reason to take me up on the offer.

blast from the past

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.