Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CPU Vcore values extremely high

Hi

After i noticed that my MacBook Pro (15'', mid-2014, 2,2 GHz Intel Core i7, El Capitan) started running with no apparent heavy load, I installed iStat Menus to check my hardware temperature.

The temps seemed fine, however I noticed that the CPU VCore values were extremely high, being around 1,77 V, while I knew that they weren't supposed to go over 1,40!

I tried resetting the SMC, but the stats are the same.

Here's a screenshot of them:

User uploaded file

I'm not overclocking my computer.

Are the VCore values supposed to be so high on this model? I tried searching online, I found another user with the same issues but no answers.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Feb 14, 2016 9:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2016 2:44 PM

Hi Oceansoul221,

I have the exact same problem after i noticed my macbook is just running stupidly hot, I believe I am using the same one as you, albeit with the 2.5 Ghz i7 (which i think is the i7-4870HQ model) and the GT 750M. Given my experience with desktop CPUs a Vcore of 1.8V is insane, which probably makes me think the software reporting it may be wrong (could be an estimate instead of an actual reading). Or it could also be that laptop CPU variants are very different to the desktop counter parts (but i couldnt find the technical information from intel). i checked out the Vcore on an old laptop of mine using an i5-2520m and it doesn't go over 1.150V on the vcore. I have contacted the app maker and intel, for more information. Will run some test on my windows bootcamp partition (where i have a better knowledge of the measuring softwares), will let you know.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 2, 2016 2:44 PM in response to Oceansoul221

Hi Oceansoul221,

I have the exact same problem after i noticed my macbook is just running stupidly hot, I believe I am using the same one as you, albeit with the 2.5 Ghz i7 (which i think is the i7-4870HQ model) and the GT 750M. Given my experience with desktop CPUs a Vcore of 1.8V is insane, which probably makes me think the software reporting it may be wrong (could be an estimate instead of an actual reading). Or it could also be that laptop CPU variants are very different to the desktop counter parts (but i couldnt find the technical information from intel). i checked out the Vcore on an old laptop of mine using an i5-2520m and it doesn't go over 1.150V on the vcore. I have contacted the app maker and intel, for more information. Will run some test on my windows bootcamp partition (where i have a better knowledge of the measuring softwares), will let you know.

Mar 2, 2016 2:58 PM in response to santib77

Thank you for your help! I too had imagined that such high values could be the result of the software incorrectly reading/displaying the measurements, I've been told that's it's a quite common issue with OS X , but I don't really want to risk frying my CPU...

my Macbook hasn't been running hot since I've resetted the SMC (at least so far) but the software keeps showing the same high vcore values.

Neither I did find Intel specifical optimal values for my computer, it doesn't seems like there's much informations about this issue on the Internet

Mar 2, 2016 3:20 PM in response to Oceansoul221

Yea im not surprised that the monitoring tools are not very advanced/ accurate given OSX closed infrastructure. Mine pretty much always runs hot, since my workload includes 1 or 2 external displays and 1 windows virtual machine. this always forces the discrete gpu to come in, nothing i can do about that. However even when the displays are connected and the virtual machine is running but not doing anything it still heats up too much but the cpu + gpu load is below 20%.

I think with regards to vcore voltage of mobile cpus, it may be dependant on the implementation though i would have expected a small variance, not a crazy 1.8V!

I will try that SMC reset to hopefully get cooler temps, though i don't really see a reason why this would do anything unless upgrading from mavericks > yosemite and then el capitan totally ruined things or maybe some other software.

Mar 3, 2016 12:44 AM in response to santib77

Having booted into windows now, i can see a bit more information.

CPU Vcore, Min = 0.650 V, Max = 1.200V (using CPUID HWMonitor)

it also clearly shows something is wrong. At least for my computer.

CPU load < 5 %, idle temps 70 degC, and it seems to like to stick to a 3.6 GHz speed.

i did a little stability testing with AIDA64 (usually i would stay away from doing this in laptops)

cpu stability test, instantly makes the temperature rise to 100 degC, which causes it to throttle to 2.5 Ghz, and i promptly stop it. at least the Vcore stays at 1.2 V

I will probably refrain from using this macbook, and take it to the apple store (maybe needs thermal repasting, fans are clean 😀 )

let me know if you would like me to run some test that you think will help you.

Mar 3, 2016 12:44 AM in response to santib77

Thank you again!

So from the results of your tests it seems that the voltage problem is actually an incorrect reading or vcore values.

100 degC is insane! MacBooks are known to have some heat dispersions issue, and running a virtual machine with 2 monitors is indeed an high load of work, but with such high temp I'd say there's something wrong with your computer. Probably re-applying thermal paste will solve it, they don't put much of it while assembling the hardware 🙂. Anyway, I'd avoid using the computer until a technician can have a look at it.

I'm not actually sure if resetting the SMC or disabling the graphic processor option on editing softwares that I use did the trick, I tried both options more or less at the same time, and one of them seemed to work.

Have you tried installing some software to control the fans speed? It won't solve the possibly underlying issues, but at least your CPU won't be running so hot.

CPU Vcore values extremely high

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.