Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trouble Downloading from App Store

Dear Community,

I have attempted to download a game from the App Store, but I am getting a message stating that I do not have enough storage to do so. The size of the game is approx. 35GB, and I have 50 GB available space on the hard drive. I know that the hard drive will not allow you to cut it too close when it comes to taking up space, but it seems like 15GB free space would be more than enough.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Greatly appreciated.

Regards

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Feb 14, 2016 10:28 AM

2 replies

Feb 14, 2016 7:31 PM in response to Darby1111

First, the App Store will not allow an installation that would leave less than the minimum amount of available space on the startup volume that Apple considers necessary, which is about 9 GB. The app is downloaded as a compressed archive that will usually expand to about twice its size. Both the archive and the expanded files will be present at the same time, so the actual amount of space needed is about three times the size of the archive.

If you're trying to add a large amount of data all at once, and you get an alert of insufficient space, then from the menu bar, please select

 ▹ System Preferences... ▹ Time Machine

If there is a closed padlock icon in the lower left corner of the preference pane, click it to unlock the settings and authenticate. Turn Time Machine OFF, then back ON. Close the window.

Restart the computer. Test.

Trouble Downloading from App Store

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.