Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Narration Vocals not found in Garage Band

Today I recorded the vocals in Narration vocals for our podcast. It was a good podcast and was a bit over an hour. I named it and tested vocals. Sounded good. Closed Garage Band.... Went downstairs to edit and fix vocals. Opened project. Got error that Narration Vocals#01.aif not found! I did another test one and vocals were right there. I have tried going into the application folder but do not see any vocals from there either. Am I totally screwed?

iPad Air

Posted on Feb 14, 2016 9:46 AM

10 replies

Feb 14, 2016 10:19 AM in response to mysticalphenomenon

The audio files are not stored in the application, but in the project files.

Select the GarageBand project, the xxx.band file, in the Finder.

Then ctrl-click the podcast .band project and select "Show Package Contents".

In the Finder window that will open, click the Media folder, then Audio Files.

Sort this folder by Date Added, so your newest media will appear on top of the list. If your recording is still there, it will be one of the .aif files in the project.

For example:

User uploaded file

Feb 14, 2016 10:51 AM in response to mysticalphenomenon

You need to open the folder, where you saved your project to, before you quit the project.. Are you using GarageBand 10?

By default your GarageBand projects will be written to a folder GarageBand in the Music folder, in your Home folder.

Open a Finder window, select "Music" in the sidebar, then GarageBand.

You should be seeing some xxx.band files. Perhaps in your view the filename extension.band will be hidden, if you disabled to show the extensions. If you are saving your songs or podcasts somewhere else, open that folder.

User uploaded file

If you are seeing your project/podcast there, select it and ctrl-click or right-click it and select Show Package contents. This should produce the screenshot I posted in my first post.

User uploaded file

Feb 14, 2016 10:56 AM in response to léonie

Yes I am using 10. I did go through and sadly no audio files are there for that project. For a few of the other projects there are audio files. I don't know how that didn't record! I had two mics attached and before I closed I went back through and listened to a few sections. Then I named it and closed it. Somehow it never saved that audio file. Of course it was awesome hour of audio that is forever gone :-( Thanks so much for helping me...

Feb 14, 2016 11:06 AM in response to léonie

Yes I did. I know my mac air is always giving me a start up disk full error from time to time so I always go through and get rid of stuff from time to time. During the podcast I did get a start up disk almost full so the only thing I can think of is even though I saved the file the right way and closed it maybe there wasn't enough space? I would have thought it would have said not enough space to save but no I never got a warning or anything. The other projects I actually taped through Quicktime and transferred in for editing and all went well. I tried taping this time in GB because I did a test and it sounded so much better. I also did a short test after I couldn't find these vocals and its fine. So again the only thing I could think of is in the end there was not enough space and just didn't save it?

Feb 14, 2016 11:28 AM in response to léonie

No..I am so annoyed by the whole thing. I know now NOT to record in Garage Band. I notice there is no option for Podcast in there with the upgraded version that I have. I did not receive an error or anything stating I reached the maximum length. Now I want to find the maximum length lol. I have to find a way to get rid of any extra files in my start up disk since that could have been the issue.. Guess I have work ahead to rerecord....

Narration Vocals not found in Garage Band

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.