Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 10.9.5 losing internet connection

Hi all

First post so please go easy on me.

I’m opening this thread as I have recently upgraded from 10.9.2 to 10.9.5 to try and resolve intermittent wifi issues whereby my connection keeps dropping out and the only way to reinstate it is to switch off the iMac wifi off and on again. There have been numerous threads about this issue over the years on most OSX's but I am at wits end with it. I have a mid 2011 27” iMac i5.

Is anyone able to offer any troubleshooting as I was told to upgrade my OS but as usual that hasn’t fixed a single thing! I have tried switching off the wake up for network access setting, I can’t disable bluetooth as I have an Apple keyboard and I have only 1 network setting in network settings in my preferred order list etc.

I can replicate the issue just by running a ping which works and then eventually times out. The most annoying thing is I have a wifi signal to my router the whole time it’s like the back end connection drops out from the mac. All other devices on my home network are getting out to the internet at the same time when the iMac loses it’s connection.

Are there any network logs I can generate that someone may be able to look at? I have seen some posts about changing DNS settings, any other 10.9.5 users out there who have tried this?

Yours, frustrated apple customer :o(

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Feb 14, 2016 11:11 AM

4 replies

Feb 14, 2016 12:02 PM in response to MattJanes

MattJanes,

You have not done an OS X upgrade in at least 2+ years as you missed Yosemite (released in 2014) and have also not installed El Capitan which was released in 2015.

When I had similar issues I changed the DNS, this is simple to do and easily reversible if you are not happy for some reason. In fact detailed instructions on how to change them are in DNS Settings Update

Feb 15, 2016 1:43 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Just tried the DNS change and I'm afraid the random drop outs are still happening.

Whilst i was pinging www.yahoo.com it started to time out but i ruled out it being a DNS issue by pinging the actual IP address of yahoo so it didn't require a DNS lookup and it still didn't respond.

It is looking like a hardware issue now so I may have to look at a USB wifi NIC 😟

iMac 10.9.5 losing internet connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.