Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to access photo files in Finder?

I just updated my system to Photo and I cannot access my pictures in Finder - the option show file in Finder is not available. What should I do?

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), null

Posted on Feb 14, 2016 11:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2017 9:32 PM

What doesn't make sense is that you can access your Photos when attaching a file to a chat, or a support forum as I just discovered, yet you can't access them in Finder. It's obviously possible to do safely. It shouldn't be this hard.User uploaded file

44 replies

Jul 7, 2017 2:34 AM in response to LarryHN

Simple - you can not - and actually you never should have - directly accessed your photos inside the library

This is what iPhoto allowed us to do. Photos is supposedly such a great (and better?) replacement.

User uploaded file

People, including myself, wanted to find out how to have that functionality in Photos (and other threads discuss other iPhoto functionality that is not in Photos).

Your "you can not" is information we have seen already.

Those of us who wanted this functionality were discussing it. Some of us may actually be unhappy about having to do x number of extra steps to do what was previously possible in one click.

If you do not agree with us expressing our opinions, then why are you expressing your opinions here? You can say, "Photos cannot do that" and move on, instead of opining and basically berating others for opinions on a topic.

Thank you.

Imran

Jul 7, 2017 2:46 AM in response to Yer_Man

But what is undoubtedly true is that the feature is available in Referenced Mode. So, stop saying it's not there. It's unfair to other users of the forum to be inaccurate.

NO, it's NOT. It may be for some items but it is not just always "there".

"So, stop saying it's.... there. It's unfair to other users of the forum to be inaccurate."

User uploaded file

If you think I (or the original poster) are only a couple of guys asking about a certain lost functionality, then why are you compelled to jump in and lecture the (many) people asking about a functionality we are asking about?

Why not use the great knowledge you do have to help people like us when you have a solution to a problem, which I have been polite enough to appreciate you for, only to get more attacking, and in this case, also inaccurate, information or opinions?

Separately, I have provided those feature related opinions to Apple via the Feedback mechanisms as I always do.

Thanks.

Imran

Feb 16, 2017 12:36 PM in response to LarryHN

You can access Photo images in Finder using the method of jonnybgood, Nov. 13, 2016:

His method avoids the multiple copies that result from "Exporting" photos to send them via email, etc.

This method works well for me, just as it did before I "upgraded" from iPhoto to Photos, although there are now more steps to do what iPhoto's "Reveal in Finder" did in one step.

1. Go to Photos Menu -> Preferences -> General.
  2. Click the "Show in Finder" button in the dialog box.
  3. Right-click the Photos Library and select "Show Package Contents", this will show a directory listing.
  4. Select and open the folder named "Masters"
  5. Use the Finder to locate the image you want. If you click on this darkened icon, you get a neat photo previewer.

User uploaded file

Feb 16, 2017 1:36 PM in response to tfeledy

And again from my answer over a year ago you use the media browser to do what you suggest which does not clutter up disk at all - you do not EVER go directly into the Photos library if your photos have any value to you and yes, having unknowledgeable people make very dangerous recommendations that often will not work at all is bad and needs to be explained to other so they do not lose photos by thinking the advice is valid - your advice is not valid at all

there are supported and very successful ways to access your photos - use them - either the Photo application, exporting from the Photos application or the media browser - although this is for iPhoto is is still most applicable to Photos - How to Access Files in iPhoto

It certainly would be helpful if people who have not idea how Photos work did not post invalid and dangerous advice here - of course there is a reason why you have NEVER helped a single person here while I have successfully helped tens of thousands -

LN

Feb 21, 2017 9:24 PM in response to SylFlood

SylFlood wrote:

After reviewing this whole thread, nothing suggested gave me what I wanted: To copy my iPhone media files to my Mac.

in desperation I plugged my iPhone 5s into my old iBook G4 just to see what would happen. The result: an instant solution, thanks to Nikon's PicturePerfect Transfer program. I installed it when I bought a new Nikon SLR 10 years ago. It immediately prompted me to decide if I wanted to transfer the 1800+ media files from my iPhone to the old laptop. it even let me create a new folder on my Desktop. Next stops are external drive backup and Amazon Prime Photo.

It seems that Nikon's desktop software is still available. I cannot verify that you'll get the same satisfying result with the updated program, but it's worth a try versus the total frustration I've experienced for the first 75 minutes of this process.

http://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/download/sw/20.html

Ok - But this thread has nothing to do with copying photos form any IOS device to a Mac - it is about accessing Photos stored in Photos for Mac on a Mac - which is not supported and can not be safely done - glad you found a solution your totally different issue but it have nothing to do with this thread in any way which is why you found nothing in it to assist you

What you want is easily done in a number of different ways depending on what system you have - if you start a new thread for your different issue with details on your system and your specific issue then someone will help you - see Writing an effective Apple Support Communities question for help in writing a question that works

LN

Jul 6, 2017 4:07 PM in response to Yer_Man

Terence, you know I appreciate your help when you provide it. But, without pulling in content from a dozen other threads/topics which cover the many shortcomings/crippled nature/weaknesses of Photos vs. iPhoto, my comment is based on many important functions which Photos does not have which iPhoto has had for years.

e.g. inability to locate an original file discussed in this thread here, or this topic, Does MacOS Photos iPhone Import Preview Not Differentiate Between Pictures & Videos?!

Just because you did not use a feature (Reveal In Finder) in iPhoto does not make you the authority on why that feature would not be regularly used by others or be of great importance to others.

As I see it, this particular comment from you, above, is actually more an "inaccurate editorial post" than what you called mine.

Thank you.

I.

Jul 6, 2017 4:20 PM in response to IMRAN

No TD is totally corrrect - in fact it is very simple

Simple - you can not - and actually you never should have - directly accessed your photos inside the library - there are supported and very successful ways to access your photos - use them - either the Photo application, exporting from the Photos application or the media browser - although this is for iPhoto is is still most applicable to Photos - How to Access Files in iPhoto

Or use a different application that works like you want - Photos is nto that application and if you choose to use it then you should use it correctly - it is a bit off the wall to choose to use an optional application and then complain that you do not like the way it works

LN

Dec 9, 2016 12:49 PM in response to scienteer

Let me be more clear about the obvious solution that is missing:

'Show these photos in Finder' even if that is a temp directory with temporary copies of the photos. You could even call it Pictures/scratch, allow photos to pile up and let the user modify or delete them as desired, noting that the originals are safely stored elsewhere. Perhaps 'Show temporary copies of these photos in Pictures/scratch'. How could you miss the need for this feature? Do your product design people use your own product? I imagine people taking screenshots of their images just to share them a lot of the time; not optimal.

The 'Show in Finder' in preferences is near useless since A) it takes so many steps and B) you have to navigate and browse to find the photos that you already identified in Photos. This is simply passive-aggressive against your users; not (usually) the Apple way.

Feb 16, 2017 1:01 PM in response to tfeledy

Really bad advice from someone who does not understand how Photos works or how to use it

Photos is not designed to have direct access to the photos and if that is what you want then you need to choose different software - the suggested method often will not give you the original photo but an optimized versions of it and if you use that method you may very well end up with poor quality photos

And if you make any errors, even small ones, you may damage your library and could lose all of the edits and organization you have done or even lose all of your photos

The proposed method does not work, is not supported and is very dangerous - if you choose to use it you are doing so at great risk to your photos It would be much smarter to use supported and safe access methods or to simply use software that works like you want to - Photos does not

LN

Feb 16, 2017 1:27 PM in response to LarryHN

LarryHN,

For attaching photos to emails or posting on social media, the method works fine and presents no "danger," as you put it.

Image files aren't being moved or changed, just copied directly to email or social media servers without the added clutter of "exported" copies on your hard drive that then have to be manually deleted.

Also, it would be helpful if we refrain from emotional comments about what others know or don't know, so we can keep this a civil forum regarding technical issues rather than personalities.

Thanks,

-Tom

Feb 21, 2017 8:11 PM in response to LarryHN

After reviewing this whole thread, nothing suggested gave me what I wanted: To copy my iPhone media files to my Mac.

in desperation I plugged my iPhone 5s into my old iBook G4 just to see what would happen. The result: an instant solution, thanks to Nikon's PicturePerfect Transfer program. I installed it when I bought a new Nikon SLR 10 years ago. It immediately prompted me to decide if I wanted to transfer the 1800+ media files from my iPhone to the old laptop. it even let me create a new folder on my Desktop. Next stops are external drive backup and Amazon Prime Photo.

It seems that Nikon's desktop software is still available. I cannot verify that you'll get the same satisfying result with the updated program, but it's worth a try versus the total frustration I've experienced for the first 75 minutes of this process.

http://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/download/sw/20.html

Apr 24, 2017 10:18 PM in response to lostjedi

What doesn't make sense is that you can access your Photos when attaching a file to a chat, or a support forum as I just discovered, yet you can't access them in Finder. It's obviously possible to do safely. It shouldn't be this hard.

What you've just discovered there is the Media Browser, referred to multiple times in the thread.

It makes perfect sense that you cannot directly access the files in the Finder. Doing so risks corrupting not only the Library on your Mac but also the iCloud Photo Library and the Libraries on any device linked to the iCPL. How? Things like moving or even renaming files will do this. It's a simple protection against carnage caused by the inexperienced or unwary user.

If you don't use the iCPL then simply run a referenced library - referenced libraries cannot be used with the iCPL. But be aware that Photos does not have the tools to adequately manage such a library and your data remains at risk - especially for the inexperienced and the unwary.

Why do you want to access the original file?

Depending on what your intended use is, there are ways and means to achieve it.

How to access photo files in Finder?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.