Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updated iPhone 5 to iOS 9.2.1 - now camera / flashlight doesn't work

I Recently updated to latest iOS....now my iPhone 5 won't take a photo, flashlight doesn't work and I can't FaceTime.

I Can use the front camera, but when I swap to the back camera the image is of me (still front camera) is either blurry or I am shown at 90o (despite my phone being portrait and the image being landscape) on my side.

This is a SOFTWARE not hardware issue... I've tried hard reset, I am at the end of my tether and want to know when Apple will acknowledge this issue and release a fix?

I've been converted to Apple since the 3GS, but am really fed up. messages shown on here indicate Apple says it's a hardware problem, in my case all was 100% fine until the iOS upgrade.

Help!

iPhone 5, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Feb 14, 2016 12:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2016 10:49 AM

Try setting it back to factory settings without using any backup afterwards. If this does not bring back the camera function, get the device checked by Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider.

Use iTunes to restore your iOS device to factory settings - Apple Support

iPhone - Contact Support - Apple Support

7 replies

Feb 15, 2016 12:30 PM in response to Ingo2711

Tried this - doesn't work. I don't live that near to an Apple store.

Really unhappy about this. I'm also getting the warning light to say that the flash is overheating - which is odd as I had it turned off, so, really unsure why it needs to cool down when it isn't even on!

The only common factor here is the upgrade to iOS9.2.1 I would love to downgrade to an earlier version, but even going to factory setting doesn't roll back to an earlier version of iOS.

Feb 16, 2016 10:52 AM in response to ianfromliversedge

Looks like I will have to... having seen the numbers of people with a similar issue on here I was hoping for a fix to be issued by Apple... is this likely to happen any time soon? I go on holiday in the not too distant future and need the camera (and can't afford a replacement).

I've also spotted that my phone requires a new sleep/wake button as it's in that batch... I haven't been advised about this and so may well have missed the window for having this fixed. Apple most certainly have my number, imessage, text message and email so I would have hoped for an email to advise of the recall, rather than finding out by accident when I have a different problem.

Feb 16, 2016 11:49 AM in response to ianfromliversedge

Sorry, but Apple does not notify users by sending them email about certain replacement programs.

Any users should check the official support page from time to time, that's how I found out about the Wall Plug Adapter Recall Program, for example.

https://www.apple.com/support/exchange_repair/

If your phone is part of the iPhone 5 Sleep/Wake Button Replacement Program ,you'll have to get the camera issue fixed first. Only then will Apple repair the Sleep/Wake Button of your device.

Updated iPhone 5 to iOS 9.2.1 - now camera / flashlight doesn't work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.