Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can I use a mouse with my ipad air

can I use a wireless mouse with my ipad air

iPad Air

Posted on Feb 14, 2016 1:52 PM

10 replies

Feb 14, 2016 4:10 PM in response to bsgLSP

NO external Bluetooth mice work on Apple iDevices and iOS.

There is no physical pointer/cursor programmed into iOS for an external mouse or trackpad input device to navigate on screen.

Your fingers are your mouse input device.

iOS has an insertion point "I" beam cursor that can now controlled by invoking the iOS software keyboard and then do a two-finger single tap to turn the entire software keyboard area into a giant trackpad.

If you useb two-finger double tap within the keyboard area, you can highlight words, lines of text or entire paragraphs for editing.

Feb 14, 2016 8:22 PM in response to bsgLSP

It depends on what you want to do with the mouse. You can use a mouse to a remote windows desktop.

Read Multiform post. You can use a mouse with remote Windows and vnc desktop apps on the ipad. You need the right app store app.

Read his article here:

It's on page 2 of this discussion about half way down.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7319286?start=24&tstart=0

The citrix mouse.

https://www.citrix.com/products/mouse/overview.html

Demo of Swiftpoint GT travel mouse with Windows remote session. Stop & start to see the details.

https://vimeo.com/113962546

Feb 14, 2016 9:13 PM in response to rccharles

Are we going to start splitting fine hairs on this issue, now?

Really???...

iOS on an iDevice does NOT, natively, supoort any type of Bluetooth external input device such as Bluetooth mice or trackpads.

NOT some remote VNC application that allows a certain type of Bluetooth mouse to use with Windows.

Come on!!!...

This is not what users are asking about using Bluetooth mice or trackpads for.

Users asking this question want to control the iOS GUI and apps like using a mouse/trackpad on a MacBook.

You are confusing AND clouding this issue..

You're pointing out a single, isolated instance of certain Bluetooth mice working with certain, specific, and not all that common Windows/VNC app combinations.

This is not a common user use for external Bluetooth mice/trackpad input on iOS and iDevices.

Stop with this minutae, already.

It is NO for ANY normal use of any Bluetooth mice or trackpads on an iOS device!

PERIOD!

Feb 15, 2016 12:24 AM in response to bobseufert

That's was interesting, but since there appears no way to use that cursor with that software trackpad, what's the point?

And whats with that trackpad?

I can't get that onscreen trackpad to work well with my finger.

And I don't think that is really a cursor from the iOS Developer's toolkit.

This whole thing on this app looks as if it has been klugded together somehow.

Is the browser available to the Android masses?

Those onscreen input devices maybe for Android users who CAN use Bluetooth mice and trackpads. No?

Really strange.

I don't even use that web browser.

Feb 15, 2016 11:52 AM in response to MichelPM

The Original Poster says:
can I use a wireless mouse with my ipad air

There is a class of users who want to connect to their Windows machine from the ipad. With these users the main stumbling block is the lack of a mouse with their remote Windows app. They are happy with using touch for apps designed for the ipad. One can hardly say that windows is designed for touch, hence the desirability of the mouse.

I do not think many people know that mouse support can be added to an app if the developer wants.

I do not know if ios has a cursor or not. It doesn't make any difference. I would suppose the app implements all the code for the mouse itself.

Let's get the facts straight.

R

can I use a mouse with my ipad air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.