Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot use my apple id to sign into messages mail and FaceTime i

Whenever i try to sign into messages FaceTime and mail using my apple id on my mac it appears to load but keeps loading forever without any outcome. Thought a reset would work but it didn't. Using OS X EL Capitan. This has been an ongoing issue for a really long time until i decided recently to try and fix it but i haven't been able to come up with any solution yet.

MacBook Air, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Feb 14, 2016 1:59 PM

12 replies

Feb 14, 2016 2:16 PM in response to Kappy

Well i don't have the option of preferences in FaceTime as its like signing into FaceTime for the first time. I meet the system requirements and i do not get any error it just keeps spinning and spinning forever i do have a 60mbps wifi so that meets the wifi requirements and another thing is if i try and use my iCloud account just for a test nothing really happens when i click on sign in all that happens my email and my password become light and i can click on sign in a million times without any results. I have another id which is my apple id which i use to sign into my iTunes and App Store but with that id it keeps loading forever so still no fix. Thanks for the reply though.

Feb 14, 2016 2:31 PM in response to amiel1997

Try this:

Boot the computer into Safe Mode, then restart normally. This will be slower than a normal startup.

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM

Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions - El Capitan

Boot to the Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears.

Repair

When the recovery menu appears select Disk Utility and press the Continue button. After Disk Utility loads select the indented Macintosh HD entry from the the left side list. Click on the First Aid tab in the toolbar.. If Disk Utility reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run First Aid until no errors are reported. Wait until the operation completes, then quit Disk Utility and return to the main menu. Select Restart from the Apple menu.

Now, Download and Reinstall OS X El Capitan 10.11.3 Combo Update.

Feb 14, 2016 2:58 PM in response to amiel1997

Please launch the Console application in any one of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go ▹ Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

The title of the Console window should be All Messages. If it isn't, select

SYSTEM LOG QUERIES ▹ All Messages

from the log list on the left. If you don't see that list, select

View ▹ Show Log List

from the menu bar at the top of the screen.

Click the Clear Display icon in the toolbar. Then take an action that isn't working the way you expect. Select any lines that appear in the Console window. Copy them to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Paste into a reply to this message by pressing command-V.

The log contains a vast amount of information, almost all of which is irrelevant to solving any particular problem. When posting a log extract, be selective. A few dozen lines are almost always more than enough.

Please don't indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Please don't post screenshots of log messages—post the text.

Some private information, such as your name or email address, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

When you post the log extract, you might see an error message on the web page: "You have included content in your post that is not permitted," or "The message contains invalid characters." That's a bug in the forum software. Please post the text on Pastebin, then post a link here to the page you created.

If you have an account on Pastebin, please don't select Private from the Paste Exposure menu on the page, because then no one but you will be able to see it.

Feb 14, 2016 3:19 PM in response to Kappy

Well none of them worked although one abnormal thing i noticed is when i try and boot in safe mode once it comes to the login screen it shows as safe mode unto near the battery symbol and when i sign in using my password the screen seems the flash a few times and appears normal also after doing the repair as mentioned the views when changing screens kinda stutters isn't the same as before and still when i try and sign into FaceTime my user name and password becomes kinda light and I'm unable to edit it once i click on sign in and i can click on it a hundred times and still nothing will happen same for messages.

Feb 14, 2016 3:28 PM in response to amiel1997

Your system sounds to be overall dysfunctional. I would consider doing the following:

Install or Reinstall OS X from Scratch

Be sure you have backed up your files because the following procedure will remove everything from the hard drive.

Boot to the Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears.

Erase the hard drive:

1. Select Disk Utility from the main menu and click on the Continue button.

2. After DU loads select your startup volume (usually Macintosh HD) from the

left side list. Click on the Erase tab in the DU main window.

3. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Optionally, click on

the Security button and set the Zero Data option to one-pass. Click on

the Erase button and wait until the process has completed.

4. Quit DU and return to the main menu.

Reinstall OS X: Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Install button.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible

because it is three times faster than wireless.

This should install the version of OS X that you had installed.

Feb 14, 2016 5:26 PM in response to Kappy

After doing that now during the setup process where it asks for your Apple ID I gave that and then it prompted me with the 2 step verification code which when I enter it again keeps on loading forever. Also in step 3 above i couldn't find the security option but besides that I followed that and now I'm stuck here. Probably will have to restart and skip loggin into Apple ID. Any other suggestions ?

Feb 14, 2016 8:19 PM in response to amiel1997

Those instructions were written before El Capitan, so they are not descriptive of Disk Utility in El Capitan. There is no Security button. Try this instead:

Erase the hard drive:

1. Select Disk Utility from the main menu and click on the Continue button.

2. After Disk Utility loads select your startup volume (usually Macintosh HD) from the

left side list. Click on the Erase icon in the Disk Utility toolbar.

3. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on

the Erase button and wait until the process has completed.

4. Quit Disk Utility and return to the main menu.

The rest is the same. I have no idea what you did beyond that, but there is no need to implement Keychain login at that time. Simple is best. If you want two factor verification you can implement it later.

Feb 14, 2016 8:28 PM in response to Kappy

thats exactly what i did the weird thing is the same thing happens with mail if i try and add my iCloud account but it works fine with my yahoo. I have no idea what to do and how to fix this though i did go through those same exact steps but that didn't help. the only thing that works with my apple id is iTunes everything else that requires my apple id I'm having the same issue

Feb 14, 2016 8:34 PM in response to amiel1997

Knowing nothing about you use of Mail, I can only suggest you might delete the account then re-create it. If it's an iMAP account your mail remains intact. The username and password you use in Mail should be those used to access your normal email account, but it may or may not be your Apple ID which is an email address.

Feb 14, 2016 8:39 PM in response to Kappy

its the iCloud one which i sign in using my apple id but leaving mail aside for the time is there anything i can do to fix FaceTime and iMessages ? Also if i go to settings and i cloud and check keychains it asks me for my apple id password which when i enter it keeps loading forever just like the rest. Anything i can do about that ?

Feb 15, 2016 7:55 AM in response to amiel1997

The only information I have relate to FaceTime and Messages I have given to you. You could also check your Apple ID:

Your Apple ID

1. Forgot iCloud Password

2. Forgot Apple ID

3. Apple ID - Apple Support

4. Manage your Apple ID primary, rescue, alternate, and notification email addresses - Apple Support

5. If your Apple ID has been locked - Apple Support

6. About your Apple ID email addresses - Apple Support

7. Get help with Apple ID

This may entail calling Apple to help you.

Apple Store Customer Service at 1-800-676-2775 or visit online Help for more information.

To contact product and tech support: Contacting Apple for support and service - this includes

international calling numbers..

For Mac App Store: Apple - Support - Mac App Store.

For iTunes: Apple - Support - iTunes.

Cannot use my apple id to sign into messages mail and FaceTime i

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.