Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages: One single document won't open.

I have a single Pages document that gives the error code "It's time to update! To open this document you'll need the latest version of Pages." error. Everything else opens. The really funny thing is, the document that won't open is the last Pages document I accessed (app. 2 weeks ago) and it opened fine then. Any ideas how I can get it to cooperate?

Many thanks in advance.

(Pages version is 5.6.1)

iMac, null

Posted on Feb 14, 2016 1:27 PM

3 replies

Feb 14, 2016 2:46 PM in response to Falconfan258

You clicked the red traffic light button on a Pages '09 document window, which closed that document, but did not quit Pages '09. It will then ambush any double-clicked document and attempt to open it — even if it is an incompatible Pages v5 created document. That dialog in an oblique way, is developer-speak, telling you that the document that you attempted to open is incompatible and use a newer version of Pages to open it.

Solution: Really quit Pages '09 from its application menu, and then double-click on that same document to have it opened properly in Pages v5.6.1.

Feb 14, 2016 5:23 PM in response to VikingOSX

Thank you very much for your response.

I've not had Pages '09 open in a really long time. I wasn't quite sure what you meant by Really quit Pages '09 from it's application menu, so I opened Pages'09, then then quit it (under the Pages application name up top). Same thing happening. I've also tried holding the Shift key while starting Pages to no avail. Also, when I select the document in question (single click) it shows the Pages 5.6.1 icon, indicating (I assume) that Pages 5.6.1 is the associated program.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thank you sincerely.

Feb 14, 2016 5:31 PM in response to Falconfan258

All Pages document icons will show the icon style of the most recent Pages installed, regardless of the application that created them — if you have Show icon preview disabled in the Finder (View menu : Show View Options). Only Pages v5 documents contain the version of Pages that created them, and the version(s) that revised them.

I mentioned Pages '09 as that has been my experience both personally, and from other community posts. However, Pages v5 is not beyond reproach, and occasionally, I have seen it throw that dialog about needing to update.

Pages: One single document won't open.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.