Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I retrieve data when the USB and firewire ports do not work?

My MacBook Pro was flooded by water and none of the ports work. Does anyone know how I can get the information off my computer and onto the new system or a hard drive? The cost to repair the unit is $800 so I am buying a new one.

Posted on Feb 14, 2016 2:46 PM

9 replies

Feb 14, 2016 3:19 PM in response to kemeryhr

Is it a pre-installed Apple PCIe flash drive or a standard 2.5" SSD. The latter may be used as I already described. The former may will be toast. Apple will not remove it and install it on a new machine, but you can ask the repair tech to see if he/she can retrieve data from the device and supply a disk on which it can be stored.

Feb 14, 2016 3:19 PM in response to kemeryhr

I don't mean to sound like I am throwing this up into your face. I'm sorry for your loss. Getting things back to normal will most like be a PITA. So take this in the spirit intended.

Please get a decent backup system installed, learn how to perform backups and restore them. This will make a recovery from you recent problem far less painful. I guarantee it. And, even backups need backups.

How can I retrieve data when the USB and firewire ports do not work?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.