Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

.jyhkyh

a friend of mine gave me their old iphone 5c. the phone its self is in really good shape. no cracks or scratches. he said there is something wrong with it. and here it is. any help would be great thank you......when i turn the phone on it gives me the "connect to itunes" screen. so i do so. itunes recognizes the phone just fine. it gives me two options. restore or update. no matter which one i choose the iphone cuts off, comes back on, and and gives me the same message.....restore or update... i cant go into the phone or anything....just apple logo and the the connect to itunes screen. any and all help (thats relevant) will be greatly appreciated. i dont have the spare cash to send it off or go to the apple store to fix that way. thank you.

iPhone 5c

Posted on Feb 14, 2016 1:20 PM

1 reply

Feb 14, 2016 5:21 PM in response to Wicked4451

It sounds like the phone is broken. You can try restoring from DFU mode; if that doesn't work then it has a hardware problem.

To unjailbreak an iOS device you must restore it using DFU (Device Firmware Update) mode. This will usually work, but there are some hacks that cannot be undone. So if this doesn't work after 3 tries your phone may not be salvageable.

DFU mode:

• Install the latest version of iTunes on your computer if it isn't there already ( (you must have Windows 7 or later or OS X 10.8.5 or later)
  • Reboot your computer
  • Disable any antivirus and firewalls
  • Launch iTunes
  • Connect the device cable to a USB port on the computer (not to a USB hub), but DO NOT CONNECT TO THE DEVICE YET
  • Press and hold the HOME and SLEEP buttons at the same time for 8 seconds, until the screen turns black, then release the SLEEP button but continue holding the HOME button. If an Apple logo appears while holding both buttons you held for too long; start over.
  • While still holding the HOME button connect the other end of the cable to the device
  • You should see a message in iTunes saying a phone in Recovery mode has been detected (it may take up to a minute for the message to appear). When you see that message release the HOME button and the device should restore.

.jyhkyh

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.