Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trouble connecting iMac directly to modem

I have an AirPort Extreme providing a wifi network in my home. It is connected to a Concast Cisco modem model DPC3941T.

I was considering connecting my iMac (Retina 5k, 27" running 10.11.3) directly to the modem, and not use wifi to connect to the Internet. I plugged a thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter in and ran a cord to the Cisco modem, but the iMac doesn't want to recognize this connection.

Network Preferences tells me "Thunderbolt Ethernet has a self assigned IP address and will not be able to connect to the Internet." Sorry, not sure what this means.

The whole reason behind trying this is that my wifi signal drops out intermittently and I can't figure out why. So I thought if I connected the iMac directly I could avoid the wifi drop out issues.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

iOS 7.1

Posted on Feb 14, 2016 2:29 PM

10 replies

Feb 14, 2016 2:39 PM in response to TFXW

You have removed the Airport Extreme??

If you plug the computer directly into the modem, does the ethernet light come on, on the router. That is essential for ethernet to work.

Are you using an ethernet cable you purchased? If it is super long they can give trouble.. a short patch cord should be fine.

If you are unsure plug the computer by ethernet into the Extreme using a short patch cord… does the little light on the AE turn on.. if yes.. you can plug the cord from the cisco to another ethernet port on the AE and make sure it is also working.

Network Preferences tells me "Thunderbolt Ethernet has a self assigned IP address and will not be able to connect to the Internet." Sorry, not sure what this means.

Either ethernet hasn't connected or DHCP is not working. If the modem was bridged it will not work, unless you power off the modem for about 20min. Then power it up again followed by the computer.

Feb 14, 2016 2:54 PM in response to TFXW

I have an AirPort Extreme providing a wifi network in my home. It is connected to a Concast Cisco modem model DPC3941T.

The Cisco DPC3941T is not a simple modem, but actually a combination modem & wireless router (also known as a gateway) device. If you have the Extreme connected to it directly do you have them both configured for a roaming style network? This type of network allows for each wireless access point to broadcast its own Wi-Fi network, but since each will use the same network name (aka SSID) and use the same wireless security type & password, wireless network clients will see them as a "single" network. Is this the way you have them set up? If not, then this may be why you are having with the Wi-Fi dropping out.

Feb 14, 2016 2:54 PM in response to LaPastenague

TThanks for the fast reply, I'll try to answer what I can.

NO, I did not remove the AE, I still want to use it to provide a wireless network for my house.

Yes, when I plugged the cord into the modem, a light came on next to the Ethernet plug. It is amber, unlike the green light next to the Ethernet cord that runs to the AE.

i Just purchased the Ethernet cord, it is about 4 feet long.

I have the Cisco modem set to Bridge mode. Should this be turned off? I thought by setting to bridge mode it would help the wifi signal coming from the AE, if it doesn't, let me know.

Feb 14, 2016 6:39 PM in response to TFXW

You can still find out whether you have both a WiFi and wired problem on the AirPort Extreme. By that I mean if you connect the Mac to one of the Ethernet ports on the AirPort Extreme......and it works.....then you have at least narrowed the issue down to the wireless on the AirPort router....and we can start to troubleshoot that issue.

As it stends now, we don't know what the real issue is, so we're trying to suggest ways to find out what the real problem is......rather than guess at things.

Mar 15, 2016 7:07 AM in response to TFXW

Quick update.

I took the comcast gateway out of bridge mode, and that helped a lot! Now there are two signals being broadcast, the xfinity signal from the comcast device and the AE signal.

The AE still drops occasionally, but not as often, and when it does, I can switch to the xfinity signal.

Not sure if the AE is defective, but since the issue is mostly resolved, I'll live with it the way it is.

Thanks all for your input. Case closed.

Trouble connecting iMac directly to modem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.