Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac G3 Tray Loader stuck on grey screen with folder flashing question mark

I recently got myself an iMac G3 (Tray loader, 333MHz, M4984) and when I try to boot it up from a OS 10.3 install disc, it will only stay stuck on the grey screen with folder that flashes with the question mark. Not only will it not boot up from holding down the C or Option keys, but it will not boot up from any key combination, such as resetting the PRAM or the NVRAM. It just boots up, stays on the screen with the flashing folder, and does nothing. It CAN read the keyboard, because I can turn the computer on using the keyboard, it just won't boot up from any disc or any key combination. Any ideas on what could be wrong? I just replaced the hard drive, but it was doing the same thing before I replaced the hard drive as well. Also, the iMac apparently had OS 8.6 installed on it when it came in, and I do believe I need to upgrade to OS 9 and do a firmware update before installing OS X (correct me if I'm wrong), but I cannot do that since the iMac will not boot from any key combo in general. Thanks in advance, all help is appreciated.

iMac, Mac OS 8.6 or Earlier

Posted on Feb 14, 2016 3:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2016 4:59 PM

I recently got myself an iMac G3 (Tray loader, 333MHz, M4984) and when I try to boot it up from a OS 10.3 install disc, it will only stay stuck on the grey screen with folder that flashes with the question mark.

Valid os not found.

Not only will it not boot up from holding down the C or

place cd in drive. power off. hold down c key power on & while to boot is in progress.

Option keys,

option key isn't supported on tray loading imac g3 333

Also, the iMac apparently had OS 8.6 installed on it when it came in, and I do believe I need to upgrade to OS 9 and do a firmware update before installing OS X (correct me if I'm wrong), but I cannot do that since the iMac will not boot from any key combo in general. Thanks in advance, all help is appreciated.

It's required for slot loader, but I think optional for tray. I think you can upgrade the firmware with 8.6 for trays.

you may need to reset the Mac's PRAM, NVRAM, and Open Firmware. Shut down the Mac, then power it up, and before the screen lights up, quickly hold down the Command, Option, P, and R keys, until the Mac has chimed twice more after the powerup chime.

Then, before the screen lights up, hold down Command-Option-O-F until the Open Firmware screen appears. Then enter these lines, pressing Return after each one:

reset-nvram

set-defaults

reset-all

"The reset-all command should restart your Mac. If so, you have successfully reset the Open Firmware settings."

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1812?viewlocale=en_US

Should the fail...

Try taking the battery out for 10 minutes. Put battery back in. Cross fingers. Power the machine back on.

How to eject a cd from the internal cd drive:

eject cd

List of devices:

devalias

List of variables:

printenv

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 14, 2016 4:59 PM in response to Dr Scrubbington

I recently got myself an iMac G3 (Tray loader, 333MHz, M4984) and when I try to boot it up from a OS 10.3 install disc, it will only stay stuck on the grey screen with folder that flashes with the question mark.

Valid os not found.

Not only will it not boot up from holding down the C or

place cd in drive. power off. hold down c key power on & while to boot is in progress.

Option keys,

option key isn't supported on tray loading imac g3 333

Also, the iMac apparently had OS 8.6 installed on it when it came in, and I do believe I need to upgrade to OS 9 and do a firmware update before installing OS X (correct me if I'm wrong), but I cannot do that since the iMac will not boot from any key combo in general. Thanks in advance, all help is appreciated.

It's required for slot loader, but I think optional for tray. I think you can upgrade the firmware with 8.6 for trays.

you may need to reset the Mac's PRAM, NVRAM, and Open Firmware. Shut down the Mac, then power it up, and before the screen lights up, quickly hold down the Command, Option, P, and R keys, until the Mac has chimed twice more after the powerup chime.

Then, before the screen lights up, hold down Command-Option-O-F until the Open Firmware screen appears. Then enter these lines, pressing Return after each one:

reset-nvram

set-defaults

reset-all

"The reset-all command should restart your Mac. If so, you have successfully reset the Open Firmware settings."

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1812?viewlocale=en_US

Should the fail...

Try taking the battery out for 10 minutes. Put battery back in. Cross fingers. Power the machine back on.

How to eject a cd from the internal cd drive:

eject cd

List of devices:

devalias

List of variables:

printenv

Feb 14, 2016 5:19 PM in response to Dr Scrubbington

"... when I try to boot it up from a OS 10.3 install disc, it will only stay stuck on the grey screen with folder that flashes with the question mark."

What type of Mac OS 10.3 install disk are you attempting to use - a DVD or another Mac's Restore disk? Restoredisks cannot be used to boot or install the OS on your iMac. You need the retail version (universal installer) Panther disk set.

"Also, the iMac apparently had OS 8.6 installed on it when it came in, and I do believe I need to upgrade to OS 9 and do a firmware update before installing OS X (correct me if I'm wrong), but I cannot do that since the iMac will not boot from any key combo in general."

A 333 MHz tray-loading iMac's firmware is up to date, if it's version 1.2. If you run the Apple System Profiler under the Apple Menu in OS 8.6, you can view the firmware version that's installed. You don't need to be running Mac OS 9.x, to run that firmware update. If it hasn't been updated and the iMac is running Mac OS 8.x, you can download and run the firmware update.

Feb 14, 2016 7:48 PM in response to Jeff

You guys don't seem to understand the issue...

Hold down c key power on & while to boot is in progress.

I know how to boot from the CD - but it won't work. Nor will holding down the keys to reset the PRAM, the NVRAM, or the Open Firmware. Not a single key combination works.

You need the retail version (universal installer) Panther disk set.

Yes, I do have the retail version. I've installed OS X on two other iBook G3's before this computer with it.

you can download and run the firmware update.

Well, no, I can't do that, because I replaced the hard drive, so the computer doesn't have the operating system anymore. That's what I'm trying to install.

Feb 14, 2016 8:11 PM in response to Dr Scrubbington

You guys don't seem to understand the issue...

We only know what your write and it's not easy to sort these issues out.

I know how to boot from the CD - but it won't work. Nor will holding down the keys to reset the PRAM, the NVRAM, or the Open Firmware. Not a single key combination works.

The service and repair manual is named, imac.pdf

reset the PMU

http://mrjcd.com/junk/PMU.jpg

[This article show the slot loading, but you should get the idea of what the button like.]

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1939

One second though, I think the pmu button is only useful when you see nothing on the display.

R

Feb 14, 2016 9:52 PM in response to Dr Scrubbington

Is the Panther 10.3.x install disc part of a DVD kit?

The early tray load optical drives generally won't accept them.

• Troubleshooting Mac OS X installation from CD or DVD - Apple Support

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=iMac+G3+won%27t+boot+from+CD&t=ffsb

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X_Panther

There also is a component on the logic board of those Macs which

may fail and so neither the hard drive nor the optical drive will be

seen by the rest of the computer logic board. (Forgot name.)

Several reasons why the computer won't start or use install disc

or may not see the hard drive, exist. Even the lack of a good PRAM

battery, or clock battery, can affect startup from any source.

My last iMac G3 was a fairly good model, a DV400 with combo drive.

Other than a few hardware issues, failed hard drive, failed component

on the logic board (requiring service at haftaks service provider who

kept my new larger upgrade hard drive; then said they didn't.

The same company later toasted my new iMac G4 under AppleCare,

& was the extent of AASP in those years. Not so much A.A. or S.P.

The clock battery can cost about $3. to $15. for a 1/2AA 3.6V Lithium.

(Should be the correct part; troubleshooting usually includes the battery.)

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Feb 14, 2016 10:11 PM in response to K Shaffer

I'm not sure but I believe they are the regular CDs, not the DVD kit. All I know is there are two discs, one says "Install Disc 1" and the other says likewise "Install Disc 2." Both are black with the OS X logo on the front, and there is nothing that says they are DVDs or CDs. However, I have been able to install OS X on two iBook G3's using the discs, if that clarifies anything. Also, as I asked in my last post, does it matter how long I hold down the keys when trying to do tasks such as reset the PRAM or Open Firmware upon startup? Maybe I'm not holding them down long enough... I love all the suggestions though. I'll try to deal with any batteries as a last resort since I'm not too confident with how to replace them, but I'll try anything.

Feb 14, 2016 11:32 PM in response to Dr Scrubbington

A dead or weak PRAM battery is a likely cause. Replacing it involves pulling out the assembly that holds the computing parts (logic board, processor, RAM, hard drive, optical drive, etc.). This website has a repair guide for replacing the RAM, which provides access to the PRAM battery.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+G3+Model+M4984+RAM+Replacement/1500

You can see the PRAM battery in the photo for Step 10. The battery looks like this

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/BAA36VPRAM/

NOTE: When re-assembling, it is possible to misalign the pull-out assembly. Look at the tray-loader optical drive, from the outside after sliding in the assembly. It should look flush along the outer surface.

You may also need to know how to reset the PMU (power management), if the iMac no longer powers up at some point. I don't think your current problem is related to the PMU, because it currently powers up. This document is not about the iMac G3, but the into about PMU and directions for how to press the button should apply.

Resetting PMU on Power Mac G5, Power Mac G4, Power Macintosh G3 - Apple Support

Note the warning NOT to press the button more than one time during a startup attempt. Press and release (do not hold down the button).

This web site has a good picture showing the PMU reset button location for an iMac G3 tray-loader.

http://mrjcd.com/junk/CUDA.jpg

Feb 15, 2016 12:06 PM in response to Dr Scrubbington

Have you verified that you have a good keyboard? Tried the other usb port?

Have you never gotten into the firmware by holding down keys on the keyboard?

Did you machine boot up in to 8.6 with the other hd?

If so:

-- bad usb port(s)

-- bad keyboard

-- finger press issue.

any usb keyboard "should" work. Practice procedure on another machine. You can use a usb keyboard on a laptop.

Here is how I hold down the keys.

place cd in drive. power off. hold down c key. ... power on. Hold down the key until I observe the action I am expecting. Observe OS X boot.

ATA controller could be busted.

Feb 21, 2016 2:54 PM in response to rccharles

Well, when I went to go replace the PRAM battery, I saw that the old one actually exploded a little bit and leaked around its holder. It didn't corrode that much, but it corroded enough to make the holder a little loose. It still wouldn't respond to any keyboard commands afterwards. I think this computer might just be dead. I'll take the new parts out and save them for another one. Luckily the computer itself was only $45, so I didn't really lose that much money. Thanks for all the suggestions though, everyone. I gotta say, Apple support gets more done in one day than Microsoft support will give you in a whole month.

iMac G3 Tray Loader stuck on grey screen with folder flashing question mark

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.