Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't leave or close apps

My iPhone 5 (iOS 9.1.2) has recently developed the annoying habit of not allowing me to leave apps. If I click on a notification whilst using an app the notification disappears, the home button does nothing, and if I lock my phone, the screen stays blank. The only way to get out of the app is by resetting the phone. This is becoming increasingly annoying as it happens several times a day. Any recommendations on how to solve this issue would be greatly appreciated.

iPhone 5, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Feb 14, 2016 3:20 PM

2 replies

Feb 14, 2016 3:52 PM in response to t126

I'm sure what you mean by "resetting the phone". Resetting to factory settings? Restarting the phone?

If you haven't done this, try closing all apps and then force restart the phone. You won't lose any data.

Press the Home button two times quickly. You'll see small previews of your recently used apps. Swipe left to find the app you want to close. Swipe up on the app's preview to close it

To force restart your device, press and hold both the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons for at least ten seconds, until you see the Apple logo.

Feb 15, 2016 9:47 AM in response to Demo

Sorry, by reset, I did mean restarting, i.e. force restart using the method you described. Also, I am unable to close recently used apps like you mentioned, as the phone just stays on the app I'm currently using. The phone doesn't freeze as such, as I am still able to use the app I'm using, I am just unable to leave the app.

Can't leave or close apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.