Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is Notes so far behind any other similar app/program available?

It's absolutely insane that I have to spend hours and hours writing/typing dates and then copy-pasting all of my notes in to another program/app. It would be nice if I could click "Download" just like almost everything else in the iCloud, or even just Export them using iTunes would get the job done. But, no. Nothing like that. If you type any notes into your iPhone/iPad Notes app; then on that device, or iCloud, are the ONLY places that you can view those notes. Horrible. Absolutely horrible. I was using the Notes app every day for almost a full year, and now I will never use it again. Starting to consider buying a different device due to this alone. Notes are a huge part of my life, and I would love for them to be easily copied, transferred, downloaded, or exported. Without this simple feature this app will stay years behind any other note app available for iOS, or any other device for that matter.

Posted on Feb 14, 2016 3:52 PM

26 replies

Feb 14, 2016 4:11 PM in response to LACAllen

I would love to be able to download/export them directly to a PC or Mac. Either via iTunes or iCloud. As for what type of format; I would assume ".txt" would be the smallest, so why not that? Or even having a few options would be awesome. But just ".txt" would be a great start. I couldn't believe that this isn't an option. I don't normally complain about app design, because I feel like most apps have a reason for why it was done the way it is. I would love to hear why Notes doesn't have any type of feature like this, and after over an hour of searching I haven't found any reasons.

Feb 14, 2016 4:17 PM in response to never now forever

never now forever wrote:

I would love to hear why Notes doesn't have any type of feature like this, and after over an hour of searching I haven't found any reasons.

No one here can answer why Apple gave Notes the particular feature set it did. However, most of the built in programs on Apple devices are relatively basic. If you want more feature rich programs or apps, you download the one that better meets your needs.

Submit your feedback to Apple requesting additional features here:

http://www.apple.com/feedback

Feb 14, 2016 5:31 PM in response to LACAllen

I saw those instructions as well, but I'm not sure if that is any quicker than just copy/pasting from iCloud to a text file. It would be easier with an option to 'Export All'; or selecting/highlighting all of them, then selecting 'Export'. I wouldn't mind them being .pdf, but I was just looking for the simplest way to export all of my notes to a PC or Mac. I know this is my fault, I shouldn't have assumed the Notes app would have these features. Although, it was 2015 when I started using it. I didn't think that it would be so far behind any other similar apps in existence.

Feb 14, 2016 5:44 PM in response to never now forever

Not to come to Apple's defence, but their consumer apps are not always feature rich and ahead of the game. Once they set a bar, all the others go about raising it.

Within their own ecosystem, Notes travel back and forth with ease, but your needs are somewhat beyond that. It happens.

Lots of software companies "break" their products as they move forward, leaving popular and beloved features behind as they try to read the market .

Search for threads on Google about Hypercard or Bento!

Feb 14, 2016 5:55 PM in response to never now forever

never now forever wrote:

Thank you LACAllen, I didn't realize I could do that. Although it's faster typing the date then copy/pasting them from iCloud to the Notepad file than having to send them to my email then copy/paste them from there. Either way, though, this is extremely inconvenient. I have around 800 notes that I am having to do this for....

Ugh, sounds horrid!

I thought iCloud Notes was supposed to sync to Mac OS? Can you get the notes onto your Mac?

If so, this could work for you it creates plain text files (no formatting, no images) from the DB that Apple stores your notes in.

http://writeapp.net/notesexporter/

If you can handle plain text notes get Simplenote, create an online account…

http://simplenote.com

Install Notational Velocity on the Mac or NVAlt. Enter your Simplenote account - 2 way syncing to iOS/ Mac, Android, Dropbox, anything you like basically. It has simple search, tagging, plain text notes, the Mac apps are simple but surprisingly good.

http://notational.net/

http://brettterpstra.com/projects/nvalt/

One point about Simplenote, it uses http which is not encrypted, so do not store your passwords in your notes, someone can read them in transit (when syncing). Or at least that was the case a few years ago.

Or move to Evernote or one of the many other services, some of them let you get your data easily 🙂

Feb 14, 2016 7:30 PM in response to never now forever

I use Evernote. Works with just about any device I'm likely to have. Bit of a learning curve but, it works for me.

The fact that we've all recommended different things points up the fact that notes applications tend to be something that people have very specific wants and needs for. Fortunately, there are lots of them out there.

Feb 14, 2016 10:21 PM in response to never now forever

Thank you all for the responses and recommendations, I really appreciate it. Now I understand I need to do a little more research to find the app that better suites my needs. Unfortunately this still doesn't fix my problem of getting the existing notes to a .txt file quicker. Although, if I do find an app that does suite my needs, than I definitely may stay an Apple customer after all. Just to let let you guys know; I am still copy/pasting my original notes =(. Sometimes you just can't get the cherry on top.

Why is Notes so far behind any other similar app/program available?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.