Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to iMessage another iPhone. Phone number is coming up green email address is blue. How come iPhone number isn't blue.

I have an iPhone 6 and all software is up to date. I am messaging another iPhone and their phone number used to come up as an iMessage, now it is going through as a SMS message. His email comes up as available for iMessage but not the phone number. I have reset my iMessage 3x and it still shows that way. Any suggestions.

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Feb 14, 2016 3:49 PM

12 replies

Feb 14, 2016 5:11 PM in response to MogMom

Ah, you didn't mention you also had a Mac laptop. Yes, having all three, only one of which has a phone number, can cause confusion sometimes.

Turning iMessage off everywhere you are logged into it, then turing it back on first on the phone lets they system know to use the phone number, it seems. If you activate one of the non-phone devices first, sometimes they don't behave properly.

Glad you got it sorted out!

Trying to iMessage another iPhone. Phone number is coming up green email address is blue. How come iPhone number isn't blue.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.