Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6s Plus battery capacity < 90% after 4 months

So the below picture has gotten me quite worried about my phone. The capacity of my battery has dropped 10% in the last 4 months, that would mean in the next 4 months I will be below the 80% mark that Apple sets for a 2-year track. Should I pop in to the store right now to get it checked out or will they just decline my complaint?

Any other people with the same issue?

User uploaded file

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Feb 14, 2016 5:33 PM

24 replies

Feb 15, 2016 11:08 AM in response to TimOever

The annoying thing about batteries is this: Draining the battery until your phone shuts off is how you calibrate it. However, every time you do this, you are damaging it a little. If you never calibrate the battery, the displayed percentage may possibly (though not necessarily) become noticeably inaccurate. Letting your battery die occasionally will most likely not cause any issues and may help maintain accuracy, but doing it too often will significantly decrease capacity. I suggest that you do not rely on coconutBattery as an official measurement of capacity and instead pay attention to your usage habits and how long your battery typically lasts. If over the course of the next few months you notice that your battery drains faster with similar usage habits, take it the Apple Store for diagnostics. As mentioned before, Apple will replace batteries holding below 80% capacity, but they won't really do anything at 89.8%.

Feb 15, 2016 3:14 PM in response to OriginalName022

The current state of the art SMART lithium battery technology does not require calibration. The device's own internal system will track battery capacity and reflect that accurately in the indicated battery level. Apple dropped the recommendation of periodic/monthly battery meter calibration when they went to the current longer service life batteries. In the iPhone they switched to batteries rated for 500 cycles and iPad batteries rated for 1000 cycles. This was a few years ago now.

WIth any current lithium cell manufactured to the most recent international SMART battery standards, it is best to avoid any deep discharge cycles if possible, to maximize usable life span. Deep cycles will not make any noticeable difference in the iOS battery meter indicated level.

Apple's policy in expected life span - http://www.apple.com/batteries/service-and-recycling/

Feb 15, 2016 3:35 PM in response to Philly_Phan

You're welcome. Lithium technology kind of fascinates me just because the basic capacity of cells has not changed much in decades, but the SMART monitoring and control circuitry has steadily improved the ability to stretch and use that capacity to the utmost. Still, battery technology is the weak link in all our mobile tech - there has not been a fundamental breakthrough in battery technology in many decades now.

Feb 15, 2016 7:10 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

ChrisJ4203 wrote:

Remember that draining the battery to dead is also a good way to ruin a lithium ion battery. If you have done this more than once, that could explain your issue, as you are actually doing something yourself t ruin your battery.

While that is true, draining it until the phone shuts off is not the same as draining it until it's dead. Apple was smart enough to force the phone to display 0% and shut off when there is still charge on the battery. To prove it to yourself press the Power button and the screen will display a message to charge the battery. It couldn't display that message if the battery was really dead. To truly fully discharge the battery you would have to run the battery down until the phone shuts off, then leave it uncharged for several weeks.

So running it down until the phone shuts off, then charging it immediately to 100% will not hurt the battery, and will recalibrate the battery gauge.

iPhone 6s Plus battery capacity < 90% after 4 months

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.