Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there any measure of GPU activity through the activity monitor?

Is there any measure of GPU activity through the activity monitor? I see CPU and energy monitors. I suppose GPU use should be reflected in the energy values, but it would be buried among other energy consuming system components. I got here from article HT201464 which apparently doesn't map t a community.

Mac, Mac OS X (10.5.1)

Posted on Feb 14, 2016 8:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2016 5:55 AM

Did you see the part about the GPU on that page…

Use Activity Monitor on your Mac - Apple Support

Graphics Card: The type of graphics card currently used. Higher–performance cards use more energy. Macs that support automatic graphics switching save power by using integrated graphics. They switch to a higher-performance graphics chip only when an app needs it. "Integrated" means the Mac is currently using integrated graphics. "High Perf." means the Mac is currently using high-performance graphics. To identify apps that are using high-performance graphics, look for apps that show "Yes" in the Requires High Perf GPU column.

This info is displayed at the bottom of the Energy tab. It's not much detail, but you may be able to see which apps need the high performance mode.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 15, 2016 5:55 AM in response to RB Connecticut

Did you see the part about the GPU on that page…

Use Activity Monitor on your Mac - Apple Support

Graphics Card: The type of graphics card currently used. Higher–performance cards use more energy. Macs that support automatic graphics switching save power by using integrated graphics. They switch to a higher-performance graphics chip only when an app needs it. "Integrated" means the Mac is currently using integrated graphics. "High Perf." means the Mac is currently using high-performance graphics. To identify apps that are using high-performance graphics, look for apps that show "Yes" in the Requires High Perf GPU column.

This info is displayed at the bottom of the Energy tab. It's not much detail, but you may be able to see which apps need the high performance mode.

Feb 15, 2016 6:08 AM in response to Drew Reece

Thanks, I did see that in the article (probably after I posted my question). Like you say, it isn't process level detail. Also, on the two Macs I use (2007 MBP and 2011 Mini) that GPU info isn't even available, probably hardware related. I run an app that is capable of computing on the GPU as well as the CPU that seems to hang the Mini, I was trying to verify that I had successfully told it to use CPU only.

Is there any measure of GPU activity through the activity monitor?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.