Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Alias dialog box closes itself and its parent folder if original item can't be found

In OS X El Capitan 10.11, whenever the alias cannot find the its original path, the alias dialog box will close itself and its parent folder.

User uploaded file

That is very annoying. Users find themselves having to re-dig the alias out. Sometimes the alias were buried somewhere under deep directories. This causes a great deal of inconvenience to find them again, which is why we use aliases at the first place. The purpose of using alias is defeated now. Even if I select Fix Alias, the dialog will still close itself and its parent folder.

I have hundreds of broken aliases to be fixed because I moved documents to a new machine. Digging out those aliases and reopening their parent folders again and again are really inefficient when fixing them. Why are users put to go through such ordeal? I never had such problem in past version of OS X.

Is there anyway to stop alias from closing itself and its parent folder?

Thanks.

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.1, iMac, MacBook Pro, Mac Pro, iPhone, iPad, and more

Posted on Feb 15, 2016 2:04 AM

1 reply

Alias dialog box closes itself and its parent folder if original item can't be found

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.