Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

1st generation airport express with 6th generation airport extreme

I just purchased a airport express to upgrade my wireless network at home. I was using my 1st generation airport express before.

I still want to use the airport express for airplay and maybe connect my printer for wireless printing.

What is best way to achieve this? Join or extend?

Is there any disadvantage in using the older express with my new extreme? Will I lose any performance by using the older 1st gen express with the newer extreme?

I will appreciate any information on the topic.

Thank you.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Feb 15, 2016 8:03 AM

6 replies

Feb 15, 2016 8:57 AM in response to idscjun

If you have adequate wireless coverage now, the "join" setting would be recommended for the best network performance. The reason for this is that when the AirPort "extends" a network using wireless, this will result in a loss of about half of the potential speed on the entire network.

This loss does not occur when the AirPort is set to "join" a network.

If you need more wireless coverage in the area where the older Express will be located, then it can be set to "extend" the network. You will have a "bigger" network this way.....but the downside is that it will be slower network this way. Whether or not you would notice this difference is an open question, since I doubt that your Internet connection speed would exceed the speed of your network.

Feb 15, 2016 11:44 AM in response to idscjun

Tesserax made a nice catch here. I was simply assuming that your "1st Generation AirPort Express" was a model A1264.

Things can get confusing because Apple did offer an earlier version of the AirPort Express......the A1084 and A1088....before the 1st Generation AirPort Express was introduced in 2008.

If you have the older version of the Express, then that will change the answer quite a bit.

Feb 15, 2016 4:48 PM in response to idscjun

Thanks for the info. The A1264 can be setup to "extend a wireless network" if that is what you want to try. In fact, Apple's setup software will set it up that way automatically, since Apple assumes that users want to "extend" their network.

Once the AirPort Express is set up to "extend", you can use AirPort Utility to change the setting to "join a wireless network" if you want to go that route.

1st generation airport express with 6th generation airport extreme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.