Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After OS X 10.11.3 upgrade APC Back-UPS icon disappeared form menu bar

iMac 27’ late 2009, 2.8GHz Core i7, 32 GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB, 500 GB SSD

After OSX 10.11.3 upgrade the icon of my APC Back-UPS (BX700U-GR) disappeared form the top menu bar and form the System Preferences - Energy Saver menu. It is connected with USB to the iMac (all other external devices Time Machine, Printer, hard disks connected with usb and/or firewire800 all connect smoothly).

Just bought the APC Back-UPS (BX700U-GR) before the upgrade and saw the APC Back-UPS icon in top of the menu and in System Preferences - Energy Saver menu. So it was there for sure.

After OSX 10.11.3 upgrade it is gone.

Did anybody have something similar? Solution to see it again?

Thanks.

Peter

iMac27, MacBookPro

Posted on Feb 15, 2016 10:02 AM

6 replies

Oct 15, 2017 6:20 PM in response to pezavy

This is an old post, but I am finding this issue on my Mac Pro Late 2013 after upgrading from 10.12 to 10.13. Booted into Safe mode. Trashed PowerManagement prefs. PRAM, SMC reset. Applecare support told me to contact the vendor, but this shows up just find in Energy Saver prefs when I plug it into a MacBook pro. I see it show up with all details on Activity Monitor as well.

Looks like:

#ICDebug - 457:{ICDDMessageCenter.m} (+Add Back-UPS RS 1500G FW:865.L6 .D USB FW:L6
- 0x3/0x0/0x0 - 0x100000 - ICDeviceDescriptionUndefined)

Feb 15, 2016 10:50 AM in response to pezavy

Strange. Maybe different on my 2015 iMac. You might try:

Try this:

Boot the computer into Safe Mode, then restart normally. This will be slower than a normal startup.

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM

Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions - El Capitan

Boot to the Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears.

Repair

When the recovery menu appears select Disk Utility and press the Continue button. After Disk Utility loads select the indented Macintosh HD entry from the the left side list. Click on the First Aid tab in the toolbar.. If Disk Utility reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run First Aid until no errors are reported. Wait until the operation completes, then quit Disk Utility and return to the main menu. Select Restart from the Apple menu.

Now, Download and Reinstall OS X El Capitan 10.11.3 Combo Update.

Feb 15, 2016 2:52 PM in response to Kappy

Hi Kappy,

As I had no any better idea I just followed the suggested steps:

1.Safe mode + normal restart - No APC Back-UPS

2.Reset SMC - No APC Back-UPS

3.Reset Mac’s PRAM/ NVRAM - No APC Back-UPS

4.Boot Recovery HD mode - Disk Utility - First Aid - Restart - No APC Back-UPS

5.El Capitan 10.11.3 Combor-Update downloaded - Reinstalled - No APC Back-UPS

6.I tried two different USB cables just in case any of them would fail. - No APC Back-UPS

7.The APC Back-UPS (BX700U-GR) is brand new. I bought it in late December.

When I connected first time I saw the APC Back-UPS icon in the menu and System preferences for sure.

APC Back-UPS: charged with green light on, after unplugged it provides power to the iMac.

Extra info:

8.I upgraded the memory from default Apple 8GB to OWC 32 GB (specific for iMac's late 2009) in late January. Should not interfere with APC Back-UPS I guess.

No more clue. 😟

Peter

Sep 8, 2016 3:46 AM in response to pezavy

Hi Peter,

have you ever figured out how to fix this? The same happened to me, running Mac OS 10.11.6. First, the connection with the APC BX700U-GR worked fine on my late-2015 Retina 27" iMac (menubar item was there as well as the Preference pane) but then it was gone; I assume that it happened after the recent security update, but I am not sure.

And now I don't get the settings back, regardless what I have tried.

Any luck for you?

Thanks,

Andre

After OS X 10.11.3 upgrade APC Back-UPS icon disappeared form menu bar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.