Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Covering the screen vibration

Whenever I cover the screen with my hand for an extended period of time after reading a text message on my watch, it will perform two long vibrations. I'm not concerned, I just found it to be a strange occurrence. Any idea why this happens?

Apple Watch, watchOS 2.1

Posted on Feb 15, 2016 3:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2016 3:53 PM

Hi

Cover to Mute is a feature that automatically places your watch into Silent Mode if you cover the display for 3 seconds straight after receiving a notification alert (such as for a text message). When Silent Mode is enabled in this way, haptic feedback is provided as confirmation. The mode must then be turned off manually in order to enable audible alerts again.

To check and change this:

- On your iPhone, in the Watch app, go to: My Watch (tab) > Sounds & Haptics.

- If it is presently enabled, turn Silent Mode off.

- Check that the Alert Volume is in your preferred position.

On the same screen, you may also wish to turn off the Cover to Mute feature.

After being enabled via Cover to Mute, Silent Mode can also be turned off directly on your watch:

- Go to the Home screen (via a single press of the Digital Crown) > Settings (cog icon) > Sounds & Haptics > turn the Mute slider off.

- Or, when viewing the time on your watch, swipe up on the watch face and then swipe left / right to the Settings Glance > tap on the button with the crossed out bell icon to toggle Silent Mode / Mute on and off.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 15, 2016 3:53 PM in response to Eidelhertz

Hi

Cover to Mute is a feature that automatically places your watch into Silent Mode if you cover the display for 3 seconds straight after receiving a notification alert (such as for a text message). When Silent Mode is enabled in this way, haptic feedback is provided as confirmation. The mode must then be turned off manually in order to enable audible alerts again.

To check and change this:

- On your iPhone, in the Watch app, go to: My Watch (tab) > Sounds & Haptics.

- If it is presently enabled, turn Silent Mode off.

- Check that the Alert Volume is in your preferred position.

On the same screen, you may also wish to turn off the Cover to Mute feature.

After being enabled via Cover to Mute, Silent Mode can also be turned off directly on your watch:

- Go to the Home screen (via a single press of the Digital Crown) > Settings (cog icon) > Sounds & Haptics > turn the Mute slider off.

- Or, when viewing the time on your watch, swipe up on the watch face and then swipe left / right to the Settings Glance > tap on the button with the crossed out bell icon to toggle Silent Mode / Mute on and off.

Covering the screen vibration

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.