Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WiFi speeds slow down when AirPlay is enabled

HI everyone,

I recently bought Airport Express and I'm having this issue where my 50mbps download speed drops down to 20-30mbps when I Enable AirPlay in AirPort Utility.

Is there a solution for this?

Thanks

Posted on Feb 16, 2016 6:25 AM

8 replies

Feb 16, 2016 9:19 AM in response to Community User

When AirPlay is enabled, you are allowing the AirPlay protocol to "ride" on TCP/IP on your local network between the streaming host and the AirPlay "speaker." If you happen to be streaming, especially HD video content, while accessing the Internet, you will see an increased amount of data being transferred over the network which will take up the available bandwidth on that network. This could appear as lower download speeds from the Internet.

Is the Express your only router in your current network configuration? ... or is it either configured to extend another wireless router or to join its wireless network?

Feb 17, 2016 3:28 AM in response to Tesserax

Thank you for the answer.

Yes, Express is the only router.

The strange thing is that the speeds drop down as soon as AirPlay is enabled (while nothing is streaming).

Feb 17, 2016 9:59 AM in response to Tesserax

Yes, A1392. It is connected directly by ethernet to the building switch.

When I connect via Ethernet I get full 50mbps, no matter the AirPlay. It only affects wifi speeds.

Feb 17, 2016 10:04 AM in response to Community User

Since your Express is connected directly to an Ethernet port, there must be another router upstream that controls Internet access to the building. That router would, most likely, be configured as such. That is, it will be providing both NAT & DHCP services for the building.

Did you reconfigure your Express as a bridge? Or are you getting a "double NAT" error message in the AirPort Utility?

Feb 17, 2016 10:17 AM in response to Community User

Yes! This type of error occurs when you have two routers in series and this can affect both Internet upload and download speeds. However, if you reconfigure your Express as a bridge (which will solve the double NAT issue) you will "open" your local network to all other occupants in the building.

In theory, AirPlay should only be running on your local network even with a double NAT condition, so you still should be able to stream locally. Even without streaming being active, your computers will still try to verify that an AirPlay device is available on periodic basis. It shouldn't take up a lot of bandwidth doing so, so I'm not sure why you are getting the significant data transfer losses ... except for the double NAT issue.

Feb 17, 2016 10:30 AM in response to Tesserax

Thanks for the replies. I will take it to my friends house latter today or tomorrow and will report back with the results.

He's got regular cable internet with modem and all that.

WiFi speeds slow down when AirPlay is enabled

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.