Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Photo's and old aperture and iphoto libraries are different

I have a mess!!

( MAC OS El Capitan)....

I have my old aperture photo library all set up one way. And, for some reason, my old iPhoto library was way different. Now, with the New Photo's, my system library is the old iphoto, but the aperture library is really how I want to have my files organized.

What should I do?

I am afraid if I make the New Photo System Library my old aperture library, that I will lose a bunch of photo's, which may have not been imported into the aperture library for some reason. The reason I figured this out was that my icloud will not work with the way I have it set up now.

Please give me some ideas!

Thanks,

Judy

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), Not sure if this is mountain lion

Posted on Feb 16, 2016 3:05 PM

7 replies

Feb 16, 2016 3:45 PM in response to Jldejong

because they are separate programs - having either has no effect on having the other

And you can migrate with or both libraries and use either or both with Photos switching between them at will - somehow you are adding unnecessary complications to this - it is simple and straight forward - three separate and distinct programs - iPhoto and Aperture can share a library if you choose to or no is you choose not to - Photos cam migrate goth iPhoto libraries and Aperture libraries and once migrated they have no further connection so you could run all three programs each with its onw database (that would be silly but would work)

LN

Feb 16, 2016 3:59 PM in response to léonie

O.K. after reading about merging libraries; I do not think that would work, because I have many of the same photos in each library. I used to use them as "one library" by opening either one or the other. But, now that they have Photo's; I cannot do that, because they do not work that way; in other words; I have to choose One Main System Library, and have my icloud library go to that one. I just don't know if it would be a good idea to use my old Aperture library as the main system Photo library now, because I am afraid of loosing some photo's.

New Photo's and old aperture and iphoto libraries are different

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.