Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music for Android SD Card option not visible

I have a 128GB MicroSD Card formatted on my Moto X Pure Edition and the option for downloading music to my SD CArd isn't visible. The Apple support article has an asterisk saying that the option will only appear if you have a formatted SD Card, which I do. I restarted the phone and launched the app, still no dice. The only thing I can think of is that I've formatted it as permanent storage for the phone, as opposed to being mobile/removable storage. Does this matter? Any other reason why I wouldn't see this option?

/Tom

Moto X Pure Edition-OTHER, Other OS, Android 6.0

Posted on Feb 16, 2016 10:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2017 10:06 PM

If you change the SD Card to a portable drive then it will work. Go into settings>storage&usb> tap on the SD Card and you can change it from internal to portable but you will lose the data on the card.

5 replies

Jun 21, 2016 10:43 AM in response to Wallecnik

In Android 6.0 ("Marshmallow") and later memory management for "external" SD cards has changed a little. One option when first formatting the external memory is to use it as "adopted memory", which basically treats it as a permanent storage unit. However, since certain Android resources really absolutely should not be stored on something that MIGHT get removed (even if the user has sworn that they won't), the removeable SD card is still treated as a logically separate unit from a storage perspective, but many apps, like Apple Music, won't recognize it as removable storage. In this formatting mode, you can install (most of) your apps on the integrated external memory, too--assuming the memory is fast enough. So, this is why, even though you have an external SD card installed, the option to download to it isn't there. However, you still need to change a setting, or all your downloads will get saved to your internal memory, eventually (as happened with me), filling it up and making the phone near inoperable and impossible to install any new apps, etc.

What you can (and should) do is set the app to store all its goodies on the external SD card instead of internal storage. You won't be able to easily remove the card and plug it in somewhere else to access the music you're downloading to it, but you already made that choice when you formatted the card. You can do this either in the Storage & USB settings or in the app settings. If you've been accidentally saving all your music to the internal storage, in Storage & USB, select the Internal memory and then select Apps. It'll give a list of all your apps and the storage they're hogging, in order of biggest to smallest. Select Apple Music and tell it to change the storage to the removable card. If you have a lot of music already stored, it will take a few minutes to migrate. There's also a setting in Settings>Apps>Apple Music called "Storaged". Clicking on it will tell you what storage unit on your phone is bing used, and a button to CHANGE it if you want.

I hope this helps anyone else with the same issue/question.

Sep 7, 2016 2:16 AM in response to vertigelt

Hi folks

I'm having the same issue with the Blackberry PRIV running Android 6.0.1.

SD Card installed. Formatted as Internal Storage but the option to have Apple Music stored on the SD just doesn't appear. If I access the settings via the Apple Music app the 'Download Location' does not appear.

If i go in via setting in Settings>Apps>Apple Music>Storage I see:

User uploaded file

I'm trialling the PRIV for a month and having Apple Music store my 100GB of music off-line on my 200GB SD card is essential.

I have gone into the Permissions that the Apple Music App has and given it the 'Storage' permission.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Pappaslim

Apple Music for Android SD Card option not visible

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.