Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB to Serial Adaptor works once for every reboot...

I have a USB to Serial Adaptor for connecting to CONSOLE port of switch/router and I use "screen" inside Terminal to connect. Recently I found the "screen /dev/cu.usbserial 9600" works only once for every system reboot. Here are the steps to replicate:

1. The output of "ls /dev/*usb*" shows the correct device.

2. Login to console of the device with "screen /dev/cu.usbserial 9600"

3. Press "Ctrl+A, Ctrl+K" to exit screen

4. (optional), disconnect/reconnect the usb to serial adaptor from laptop OR disconnect/reconnect the console cable from target device.

5. The output of "ls /dev/*usb*" still shows the correct device.

6. Try to connect to console again with "screen /dev/cu.usbserial 9600", the screen process will hang. Once that is happening, the screen process can not be killed via "sudo kill -9" and only be solved by complete power cycle. BTW, the laptop will also hang during reboot/shutdown, until I keep pressing on power button...

7. Once screen hang, The output of "ls /dev/*usb*" would show nothing.

Once laptop boots up again, I can connect with the same screen command and same scenario for step 2-3 above...

I have Mac OS 10.11.3 and adaptor is Micro Innovations branded (Prolific chip). I downloaded and installed/re-installed driver from Prolific site and no difference...

Any idea?

Posted on Feb 17, 2016 11:24 AM

4 replies

USB to Serial Adaptor works once for every reboot...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.