Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I reduce the size of a photo attachment in iPhone Mail?

I recently upgraded my iPhone 6+ to iOS 9.2.1. When I emailed a photo (I inserted the photo into a composed message in Mail.), it was sent full size (~1.9 MB), rather than offering me the option to reduce the size of the attached image (to ~200 KB), as was the standard with iOS 8. I did not need to send the large higher resolution image, which caused the receiver's email account to go over quota.

How do I access the option to select the image size (eg small, medium, large, original) while composing or before sending the email? And, similarly, I would want the image sizing option when attaching a photo to an iPhone or SMS message.

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Feb 17, 2016 10:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 31, 2016 4:49 AM

I think you only get the option to reduce once the total attachment size exceeds 2 MB.

2 replies

How do I reduce the size of a photo attachment in iPhone Mail?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.