Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I delete an entire user's backups in Time Machine?

I recently had to create a new user for myself on my main HD, so now I want to delete all the backups of my old non-funtional user account. But Time Machine won't let me. When I click on the gear, I can select Delete All Backups of the user folder, but when I do, it doesn't ask for my admin password, and nothing is deleted. How can I accomplish this?

Thanks!

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Feb 17, 2016 12:33 PM

5 replies

Feb 17, 2016 12:38 PM in response to Mark Bradford

If you do not want anything from that drive saved, you may consider using the

disk utility in OS X to erase or reformat the drive; if you are to keep using it, a

matter of setting up the drive again as a Time Machine target is easy enough.

Probably not necessary to go that far, to erase them. See ideas among results:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=OS+X+erase+Time+Machine+backups&t=ffsb

If you chose to give away the storage to someone else, that had been used

as Time Machine backup, you may consider a 'secure erase' of that drive.

Good luck in this matter! 🙂

Feb 17, 2016 1:14 PM in response to K Shaffer

So is there no way to simply delete all backups of a user account from the time machine interface, without formatting the drive? I've used that method to delete all backups of a particular folder many times, but this time, it's not working. According to all instructions I've seen, it should work. I've seen no instruction that says you can't delete a whole user folder that way. I do want to keep the backups from my main HD, which runs Lion, and the user I just created.

Feb 17, 2016 1:51 PM in response to Mark Bradford

Not certain if ideas such as proposed here will be helpful in the situation you cite:

• Time Machine - Frequently Asked Question #12 - Should I delete old backups? If so How?

http://pondini.org/TM/12.html

The above is from this site, which still has much helpful information:

• Apple OS X and Time Machine Tips:

http://pondini.org/TM/Home.html

Usually Finder-based solutions in this matter are not recommended or just don't work.

So at least by attempting to go through Time Machine itself is a correct path to try.

Sorry I don't have enough experience to venture further in this matter. Perhaps another

person with experience deleting specific user account backups from Time Machine will

offer their methods or means toward resolving this issue.

And if you don't already, create duplicate backups, to not rely on Time Machine alone.

To different media and not the same storage drive; in case of failure and so on.

In the search results, I've found by looking, some direct to wordpress sites and those

are not necessarily worth the trip; some redirect to other places. I reported them to

the duckduckgo search people. And some of the older Apple Discussions results may

or may not be helpful. Here's one that covers user account backup in Time machine:

Remove specific files from Time Machine backups

Good luck in this matter! 🙂

How do I delete an entire user's backups in Time Machine?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.