Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"The application is not open anymore"—what's the underlying cause?

It seems to be a not-uncommon problem for the Finder to report the "The application ___ is not open anymore." Some people never see this error message, but those of us who have seen it tend to see it repeatedly, and usually for the same apps. I've seen it several times, usually for one particular third-party app, but occasionally for others as well. I cannot recall having ever seen this prior to Yosemite.

The most commonly offered solution is to reboot, which consistently resolves the immediate manifestation of the issue but doesn't prevent it from recurring. Nor does replacing .plists or other persistent Library files provide a long-term resolution. Rebooting is not always a viable option at that moment. (For example, my most recent manifestation happened during a code compile. Not exactly something easy to interrupt and pick back up where it left off.) The error message itself follows the increasingly frustrating pattern of error messages that not only say nothing useful but also give a misleadingly inaccurate description of the problem. (When you're trying to launch an app, you're probably assuming that it's not open—if it were open, you wouldn't need to launch it again.)

Furthermore, while the error message says the app is not open, a restart attempt will usually fail initially with the message that the app is still running. So to some parts of the OS, the app is not running, but to others, it is. There is never any process visible in Activity Monitor or Terminal ps that is identifiably connected to the app in question, so there's nothing that can be force-quit or kill -9'ed.

So my question is: what is the actual issue that triggers OS X to present this particular error message? If I knew what was really going on, I might be able to contribute to finding a more permanent fix than simply rebooting every time it happens. The wording of the error suggests to me something related to App Nap and/or automatic application termination, but I have both disabled on my system, so my specific trigger likely comes from something else. I just don't know what that might be.

If I had to hazard a guess, based on what I know of the symptoms, I'd guess that there one or more temporary files of some kind that aren't getting closed properly when the app crashes, so that while the process ID itself is removed from the list of running processes, an open file pointer is still active that references the process. But I have not yet figured out what file(s) may be involved, or even if it's consistently the same file or files. And while it seems for any individual user who experiences the problem, the apps that it happens to are consistently the same ones, different users are all seeing it with different apps, which suggests to me that it's coming from something inherent to a particular OS installation, not just the app itself. That is, I think there's a call in the code of the affected apps that can trigger this error, but only when certain other circumstances are present.

That speculation is about at the limit of my under-the-hood knowledge, though, so while I've identified a reasonable starting point, I don't know what to do with that. So I'm hoping that some other inquisitive user with more code knowledge will see this and be inspired to help figure it out.

MacBook Pro (17-inch Mid 2010), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Feb 17, 2016 3:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 18, 2017 6:42 AM

I just submitted a bug report. I have had this problem for months now. Add to the symptoms, I cannot shutdown/restart the system without doing a forced hard-off (holding power button down).

I read the problem would be a process in the kernel that a userland process is waiting on. You have to sudo kill what's running in the kernel.

The problem is knowing what process(es) is causing it. That's a very long list.

Several apps are affected, and there is no rhyme or reason about which ones are stuck.

I did a 'sudo kill -9' on all the processes, and then I could restart. But that is just as bad as forced off.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 18, 2017 6:42 AM in response to MarquelleDavianMcKean

I just submitted a bug report. I have had this problem for months now. Add to the symptoms, I cannot shutdown/restart the system without doing a forced hard-off (holding power button down).

I read the problem would be a process in the kernel that a userland process is waiting on. You have to sudo kill what's running in the kernel.

The problem is knowing what process(es) is causing it. That's a very long list.

Several apps are affected, and there is no rhyme or reason about which ones are stuck.

I did a 'sudo kill -9' on all the processes, and then I could restart. But that is just as bad as forced off.

Jun 13, 2017 1:46 PM in response to Danegraphics

Try running this program in your normal account, then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by etresoft, a frequent contributor. Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. On the screen with Options, please open Options and check the bottom 2 boxes before running. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy Report” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown.

Etrecheck – System Information

Aug 24, 2017 6:53 AM in response to MarquelleDavianMcKean

As an update:

Apple closed my bug report as it is a dupe of another report. They have had this for a while.

Still a variety of apps this happens too, and it is intermittent : eclipse, emacs, java based, Xquartz, etc

I have a system update pending for a couple months now that can't be applied since my system cannot be shut down properly. I now use " sudo shutdown -h now ". I had a previous one that was stuck for over 6 months.

Feb 17, 2016 6:24 PM in response to MarquelleDavianMcKean

Mark McKean wrote:

So my question is: what is the actual issue that triggers OS X to present this particular error message? If I knew what was really going on, I might be able to contribute to finding a more permanent fix than simply rebooting every time it happens. The wording of the error suggests to me something related to App Nap and/or automatic application termination, but I have both disabled on my system, so my specific trigger likely comes from something else. I just don't know what that might be.

If you are running on limited RAM, you may see this happening more so than not?

http://osxdaily.com/2014/05/13/disable-app-nap-mac-os-x/

This may be a bug in the OS X

Bug Reporter https://bugreport.apple.com/

By filling a bug report you start a dialog with Apple engineers, and will be able to submit diagnostic to follow up on your query.

"The application is not open anymore"—what's the underlying cause?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.