Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Beeps during conference call

My iPhone emits a loud beep every 15 seconds to everyone else but me when I'm the creator of a conference call. The beep continues for the remaining person on the line when everyone else has left the call. The beeps start, and persist, if the call was at any point a conference call.

I've tried moving my sim card to an android phone - this silences the conference call beeps completely. I interpret this to mean that the beep is in fact produced by the phone itself. My carrier also denies any knowledge of the problem.

I'm running iOS 9.3 and have seen this problem persist through several updates. I would very much appreciate any help with this as it doesn't seem to be a problem that many people share.

iPhone 6, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Feb 18, 2016 4:25 AM

16 replies

Feb 18, 2016 6:31 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

I'm a journalist and I'm normally using conference calls with the app TapeACall, however the beep starts during conference calls whether I use the app or not.

I did originally contact the TapeACall team who was of course unable to solve the problem. The app does have the built in option to emit a beep, however this beep is less frequent. I even tried to enable beeps in the TapeACall app to see if it made any difference. All that gave me was two separate lines of beeps, as you'd expect.

Besides, the beeping stops when I put my sim card in a separate phone (same carrier) and TapeACall isn't involved. I can't imagine a way for the TapeACall app to be involved in this issue when that's the case.

Isn't the company that hosts the conference bridge my carrier? In any case, that company should be the same when I put my sim card in a different phone and the beeps disappear, right?

Feb 18, 2016 6:36 AM in response to kantastisk

kantastisk wrote:

Isn't the company that hosts the conference bridge my carrier?

My company uses Citrix for conference calls. It's completely independent from who anyone's cell phone or land line carrier is. I don't know if TapeACall is the bridge in this case or not. That's something you'd need to ask them.

Try deleting the app and reinstalling.

Feb 18, 2016 7:09 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

The app has nothing to do with my carriers ability to create conference calls. This is an option provided by my carrier regardless of your smartphone or software setup.

I see no conceivable way the app could be the cause of the beeps when the beeps happen during conference calls whether or not the app is even installed on my phone. I tried reinstalling the app with no change.

I'm glad you've tried to help anyway. This seems to be a very rare problem...

Feb 18, 2016 7:15 AM in response to kantastisk

kantastisk wrote:

The app has nothing to do with my carriers ability to create conference calls. This is an option provided by my carrier regardless of your smartphone or software setup.

I see no conceivable way the app could be the cause of the beeps when the beeps happen during conference calls whether or not the app is even installed on my phone. I tried reinstalling the app with no change.

I'm glad you've tried to help anyway. This seems to be a very rare problem...

Ok, so you're not using a conference call system. That's what I was trying to determine. You're using the phone's built in multi-way calling feature. So, TapeACall is one of those services that leverages three way calling to record a call? Not what I generally think of when I hear "conference call" so, apologies for the confusion.

It would make sense to me that the beeping is there to let people know they are being recorded. But, if it's happening when you're not recording calls, it's almost certainly got to be a carrier issue.

Best of luck.

Feb 18, 2016 8:03 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

1. The beeps happen on a conference call on my phone whether or not I'm using TapeACall and even whether or not TapeACall is even installed. I therefore see no way TapeACall could be the culprit.
  2. The beeps disappear when I move my simcard to a different phone and start a conference call. The carrier, of course, remains the same regardless of which phone is using my sim. I therefore do not understand how my carrier could be the culprit.

I appreciate your attempt to help me regardless.

Feb 18, 2016 9:42 AM in response to kantastisk

kantastisk wrote:

The beeps disappear when I move my simcard to a different phone and start a conference call. The carrier, of course, remains the same regardless of which phone is using my sim. I therefore do not understand how my carrier could be the culprit.

The carrier's system does "know" the difference between an iPhone and an Android. Some carrier features are different, for example voicemail. Two different types. There may be something that your carrier is doing that the people you've spoken to are not aware of that's different with an iPhone.

Have you tried your SIM in a different iPhone? Or, at least tried making a conference call from a different iPhone?

Beeps during conference call

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.