Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture crashes every time I try to preview or buy a photo book. Is it still possible to this on Aperture?

Aperture crashes every time I try to preview or buy a photo book. Is it still possible to this on Aperture?

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)

Posted on Feb 18, 2016 7:56 AM

3 replies

Feb 18, 2016 9:15 AM in response to moonhare

Yes, you should still be able to order a photo book. But I have just seen another discussion, where Aperture is crashing when previewing a book: Re: I have finished a photo book but I can't preview and order it?

Which version of Aperture are you using? And which MacOS X version?

Usually such crashes can be caused by a corruption of the book or images added to the book.

Your book may contain a photo or a map that cannot be rendered. You will have to identify the problematic item and to remove it and replace it.

Does the crashlog list the the filename of the photo that is currently processed? Look at the error message, if you are seeing any clue to the problematic photo.

You can also try to identify the problematic item by duplicating the book.

Select the book in the Library Inspector, ctrl-click it, select "Duplicate Book".

Make two copies of the book. From the first copy delete half of the pages, from the second coy the other half of the pages.

Try to preview both copies of the book. If Aperture crashes for one of the copies, the problematic item is in this copy.

Continue by duplicating the copy of the book that keeps crashing and deleting pages, until you found the page that is causing the crash.

Then try to identify the photo or the map on the page that is causing the crash.

Wich version of Aperture are you using? If you are using a version Aperture 3.4.5 or earlier, maps will not work at all any longer.

Feb 19, 2016 4:21 AM in response to léonie

Hi Leonie,

Thanks for your help in this. I have tried all your suggestions including trying to open preview from another account; this does work so the fault must be with my Aperture library but I can't locate that fault, I have tried repairing permissions and data base and rebuilding the database all with no success.

As I need the book quite urgently, I have fried to copy it as a new library to the public file to open in another account but it will not open.

I would be grateful for any more suggestions.

Feb 19, 2016 5:39 AM in response to moonhare

Does a new Aperture lIbrary in your current user account work?

If you cannot preview a book created in a new Aperture Library, fix the preferences in your home folder. There are hden files in the user library, that might be corrupted.

Try to remove the Aperture Preferences see this support document: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201289

Before you begin

Before resetting user preferences, be sure to first review your Aperture preferences as they are currently configured and note any specific settings you've chosen. When resetting the Aperture preferences, your general, appearance, import, export, labels, previews, iCloud, accounts, and advanced preferences will be returned to default settings the next time you open Aperture. For example, the location and name of the last opened library will be reset.

Steps to reset preference settings

To reset your Aperture user preference settings to their original state, do the following:

1. Quit Aperture.
  2. In the Finder choose "Go to folder" from the Go menu.
  3. Type ~/Library/Preferences in the "Go to the folder" field. Press the Go button.
  4. Remove the "com.apple.Aperture.plist" file from the Preferences folder.
  5. Restart your computer if you're using OS X Mavericks.

The locations of your Aperture libraries are stored in the preference file listed above. If you have stored your library outside the default location of ~/Pictures/Aperture Library, make a note of where the library is before deleting the Aperture preferences file. If you have more than one library, you can bring up a dialog to choose which one to load by pressing Option immediately after you open Aperture.

If that does not suffice:

Move the user created presets, keyword lists, and so on...

1. Quit Aperture.
  2. In the Finder choose Go to folder from the Go menu.
  3. Type ~/Library/Application Support/Aperture in the "Go to the folder" field. Press the Go button.
  4. Move the contents of this folder to your Desktop
  5. Restart your computer if you're using OS X Mavericks.
  6. Start Aperture and see if the issue is resolved. Note: Permanently removing these files will delete presets, metadata sets, keyword sets, and so on. If moving these files to the Desktop does not resolve the issue, move them back to their original location to restore the presets, adjustment chain presets, and metadata sets. In no case will removing these files affect metadata, keywords, or adjustments already applied to images.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.