Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with Migration Assistant

I'm moving from an iMac to a MacBook Pro. Both are updated to latest OSX. Both have Firewall off. I connected them with an Ethernet cable and followed instructions from Apple for how to do it. The MacBook sees the iMac, I choose it, but I get a message saying it cannot connect to the iMac and check to see both machines are on and connected to same WiFi, which they are. On the Migration Asst window on the iMac it does not show the new MacBook, just wheel keeps spinning. What's the problem? OR is it the same to back up from a Time Machine backup? If I haven't excluded anything, will a TimeMach backup have my entire photo library, all installed apps, everything the same as if I migrated directly from the Mac? What should I do?

Posted on Feb 18, 2016 1:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 18, 2016 1:29 PM

Have you enabled File Sharing on the iMac? Did you follow the MA instruction for transferring via Ethernet?

How to use Migration Assistant to transfer files from another Mac

Migration Assistant tips and tricks

iMac (27-in, Quad Core, Late 2009)- Migrating from OS X v10.5 Leopard with wireless migration

12 replies

Feb 18, 2016 1:37 PM in response to BDAqua

10.11.3 on both machines. I have an external drive as Time Machine backup on the iMac. I'm attaching ethernet cable to both machines, then trying to use Migration Assistant to transfer iMac to MacBook. MacBook sees the iMac and gives it as a choice to migrate from. But when I click on it I get the error message that the MacBook cannot connect to the iMac. I tried to do the same thing without the ethernet cable, to just migrate using WiFi, but I get the same message. So then I thought unless someone can tell me something I'm doing wrong, perhaps I can just do the migration using the Time Machine drive...?? But then, I don't really know if Time Machine really backs up EVERYTHING just like migrating directly from computer to computer?

Feb 18, 2016 2:01 PM in response to James Glynn

There is only one File Sharing option to check. Not sure what other boxes you mean unless you are referring to other sharing options such as Printer Sharing. None of those are needed. MA provides a couple of import options such as from a Time Machine backup, Another Mac, an Attached hard drive, etc. You would not select the Time Machine option, so one of the remaining ones should work. Also, are you running the MA on the new computer or the old one? You need to use the former.

Full instructions are found in the link I posted earlier: How to use Migration Assistant to transfer files from another Mac. You need to scroll down to the part for using Wi-Fi or Ethernet.

Feb 19, 2016 8:15 AM in response to James Glynn

OK I got the ethernet connection to work, followed Migration instructions, but now have a new glitch. Both computers recognize each other and connect, give me the same code. But then, on the new computer, while it is calculating how much space is required for each item, the item labelled Docs and Data shows no spinning wheel. So I open it to see the details: a message in red says, "This user needs attention before migrating." I also see that Library is grayed out. Nowhere on the new or old computer does it tell me what that message means or what I need to do...??

Feb 19, 2016 1:01 PM in response to James Glynn

If you’re already configured an account on the new iMac that uses that same user name as you’ve used previously on your MacBook you’ll see a red warning that reads This user needs attention before Migrating. When you click Continue a sheet appears that gives you the option to either replace that account with one that has the same name or keep both user accounts (in which case you must create a new name for the account you’re transferring over). Make the choice you want, click Continue, and the account will be restored.

http://www.macworld.com/article/2066996/how-to-transfer-backups-from-time-machin e-to-a-new-mac.html

Dec 28, 2016 10:05 PM in response to James Glynn

Well, here's my experience with Mac migration from an 8-year-old iMac to a new one. Slow, slow, slow and, in the end, unsuccessful. Be patient, forums like this advised, so I was, but after more than 48 hours, my data still hadn't finished transferring. So I shut it down, opened the new external storage device I'd bought with my new iMac and used Time Machine on the old iMac to save the data. (My previous time machine storage device had quit working). I'm now in the midst of transferring data and documents to my new iMac. I expect using Time Machine and the external storage device will be more successful than connecting the 2 computers by Ethernet. So far so good.

Problem with Migration Assistant

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.