Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want my MacBook "On My Mac" contacts group back

I prefer to keep some of my contacts only on my MacBook - not on iCloud, not on an email account - just on my MacBook.

After upgrading to OSX El Capitan (now 10.11.3) and trying to figure out how to use iCloud (for other purposes than contacts), I seem to have lost my "On My Mac" contacts group. After reading several posts, I tried selecting iCloud Contacts on/off; I tried re-booting; I logged in and out of iCloud - but nothing worked and this "On My Mac" group (or option) does not appear in the "Add Account" or anywhere else in Contacts or System Preferences.

To repeat - I want "On My Mac" contacts only locally on my MacBook. I do not want them on iCloud or any external server or email system.

Any help would be apprectiated. My tech abilities are quite reasonable.

Posted on Feb 19, 2016 3:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2016 6:49 AM

If you enable iCloud synchronization of Contacts in the iCloud preference pane, all your contacts will be moved to iCloud and you'll no longer have an On My Mac category. If that's not what you want, do as follows.

First, if you haven't already done so, back up your iCloud contacts by selecting all of them and then choosing

File ▹ Export ▹ Export vCard...

from the Contacts menu bar. Save the vCard wherever you like. It contains all the selected contacts.

Uncheck the Contacts box in the iCloud preference pane. Confirm that you want to delete your iCloud contacts from the computer when prompted. They'll still be on iCloud.com and on your other synced devices (if any), as well as in the vCard you just created.

Add at least one placeholder contact, not necessarily a real one. From the Contacts menu bar, select

Contacts ▹ Preferences... ▹ Accounts

and click the plus-sign button at the bottom of the account list on the left. In the sheet that opens, select iCloud and enter your Apple ID credentials. Your iCloud contacts should reappear after a brief delay, and you should still have the On My Mac category. Any contacts in that category will not be synced with iCloud.

Credit for this idea to ASC member Larry Wasson.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 19, 2016 6:49 AM in response to Daddio Strat

If you enable iCloud synchronization of Contacts in the iCloud preference pane, all your contacts will be moved to iCloud and you'll no longer have an On My Mac category. If that's not what you want, do as follows.

First, if you haven't already done so, back up your iCloud contacts by selecting all of them and then choosing

File ▹ Export ▹ Export vCard...

from the Contacts menu bar. Save the vCard wherever you like. It contains all the selected contacts.

Uncheck the Contacts box in the iCloud preference pane. Confirm that you want to delete your iCloud contacts from the computer when prompted. They'll still be on iCloud.com and on your other synced devices (if any), as well as in the vCard you just created.

Add at least one placeholder contact, not necessarily a real one. From the Contacts menu bar, select

Contacts ▹ Preferences... ▹ Accounts

and click the plus-sign button at the bottom of the account list on the left. In the sheet that opens, select iCloud and enter your Apple ID credentials. Your iCloud contacts should reappear after a brief delay, and you should still have the On My Mac category. Any contacts in that category will not be synced with iCloud.

Credit for this idea to ASC member Larry Wasson.

Aug 11, 2016 6:08 AM in response to Linc Davis

I tried this, but it does not seem to work. I exported copy of all iCloud contacts to desktop. I turned off iCloud for Contacts. I imported the copy of all my contact card. "On My Mac" appeared in the sidebar with all of the contact cards listed. When I re-enabled iCloud for Contacts, "On My Mac" disappeared and only iCloud Contacts was in the side bar (with duplicate card). I tried this several time without success. Am I doing something wrong?

Carole

I want my MacBook "On My Mac" contacts group back

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.