Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MPEG Streamclip will no longer open/play mp4s etc.

Hello,

I recently had to reinstall OS X 10.11.3 and all other open source and licence purchased software onto my Mac HD.

The unique free MPEG Streamclip 1.9.2 will recognise title of mp4 file (shows in application viewing window) but says "File open error: unrecognised file type".

Clicking "open Anyway" button brings up window "File open error: can't find video or audio tracks" warning.

This free program is quite unique in that, despite being free, it alone enables users to change video frame size, alter brightness, contrast and saturation as necessary as well as converting to a range of alternate formats.

Has any other users of MPEG Streamclip experienced this inability to open mp4 and other video format files under El Capitan 10.11.3 ( MPEG Streamclip worked fine under 10.11.2 and earlier OS X versions? I will be grateful for any advice you can offer.

Sincerely, paulranger1.

Posted on Feb 19, 2016 6:42 PM

5 replies

Mar 10, 2016 2:01 AM in response to paulranger1

I also have problems with MPEG Streamclip on El Capitan. It worked fine on Mavericks (I don't know about Yosemite). Recently I bought a new iMac with El Capitan and MPEG Streamclip now lays out the GUI strangely, mainly the transport timeline bar. Also when playing .mov or mp4 files it chops off the top segment of picture (about a third). I think it must be compatibility issues with Streamclip and El Capitan, as on my old Mac (with Mavericks) it works fine. Aaagghhh!

Mar 10, 2016 4:26 AM in response to AndyH7

Hello AndyH7,

Thank you for your post regarding your MPEG Streamclip/El Capitan incompatibility issues. I am unfamiliar with GUI timeline problems but can understand when you describe the unwanted and arbitary cropping of the top third of the frame image.

Like you, I found MPEG Streamclip worked fine under Mavericks and equally well under Yosemite. I installed Yosemite onto the external drive when OSX 10.10 was the latest version. The installation was so that, in the event of being unable to startup from the (usual) OSX on Mac HD, I at least had access to another OSX system from which I could startup. When I now startup, using the external Yosemite as the active OSX system, the installed "App Store" OSX component keeps asking if I want to update to El Capitan(No Thanks, Apple!).

Hopefully, when (and if?) Apple and Adobe work out a fix for El Capitan so that even Photoshop Elements and Premier Elements can work under El Capitan's incompatibility limitations, maybe MPEG Streamclip will again work as we know it (and love) to operate. As I understand the situation, the creators of MPEG Streamclip no longer develop the program with Ver. 1.9.3b8 being the last available edition.

Sincerely, PaulRanger1.

Mar 12, 2016 5:20 PM in response to Old Toad

G'day Old Toad (I love it!)

Your note that MPEG Streamclip Version 1.9.3b8 works for you under El Capitan (latest release) is reassuring that, at least, in some OSX 10.11 configurations, MPEG Streamclip is not compromised. From various related forums, I gather that many other El Capitan users have encountered the seemingly insurmountable interface problems with MPEG Streamclip. That the original MPEG Streamclip developers no longer update or support their unique program is most unfortunate. I cannot even find a commercial equivalent. El Capitan incompatibility problems extend to Adobe Photoshop Elements 11 and above as well as Adobe Premier Elements.

Do you know of any El Capitan System settings/folders that I could investigate, delete and replace (perhaps from Yosemite which does communicate) so MPEG Streamclip and El Capitan can communicate and operate successfully, please?

Sincerely, paulranger 1.

MPEG Streamclip will no longer open/play mp4s etc.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.