Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I repaired a PowerMac G5

Hello community,

I have never tried to post on any type of forum or community wall. So here it goes.

I've searched and searched and searched some more and still can't find any solution to my PowerMac G5 computer.

1. I bought it used thinking it had everything ready to go BUT! of course it didn't.

2. I went ahead and bought all of the missing parts (to my knowledge).

The parts that I had to buy was extensive but not expensive. 2 x 2.0GHz CPUs, 160 HDD and the inlet fan that slides in front of the Dual CPUs.

The PMG5 already had 2.5GB Ram, the speaker/fan and back fans as well an original Radeon 9600 GPU.

Cosmetically the entire PowerMac G5 looks mint and very clean nothing out of the ordinary to my eye. I build Gaming Rigs as an enthusiast.

So I am very a where of building PCs and upgrading multiple gadgets.

I made sure that the ram was set correctly since they has to be installed in a I want to say mirror way. The CPUs where so easy to line up and lock into place much easier than an AMD or Intel PC. The new HDD is pretty much straight forward. and I've removed everything and reset it into place GPU RAM and the Fans.

The system powers on but nothing else happens on the monitor nor do the keyboard and mouse power on so I'm guessing the logic board might be ****.

The fans do power on and since everything is mint and like new the are perfectly running quietly unlike the many complaints I see on here.

The power led only lights up when I press the power button the first time but never again until I have to hold the power button to turn it off manually.

I really don't want to replace the logic board or the gpu but due you think that's the issue with the USB ports?

I'll check back often to see if anyone has any constructive tips.

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.3.x), Panther OS, 2.0GHz Dual, 2.5GB

Posted on Feb 19, 2016 5:39 PM

1 reply

Feb 20, 2016 10:06 AM in response to SocialGamer

Hello & a warm welcome! 🙂

I think there were 4 different versions of the 2.0GHz CPUs & 4 or more different Logic Boards for them.. are you certain you got the matching ones?

Strange on the fans, they should go full blast after a bit with no OS to control them.

Normally after a CPU replacement you'd need to calibrate the CPUs with ASD Disc, which weren't available to the public, there again a 2GHz G5 might require any of the 3 ASDs for G5s.

With the power plugged in, is there a red LED lit on the Logic Board?

Panther would point to an early 2GHz, but...

If you don't know the model, find the Serial# & use it on one of these sites, but don't post the Serial# here...

http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html

http://www.appleserialnumberinfo.com/Desktop/index.php

How to find the serial number of your Apple hardware product...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1349

I repaired a PowerMac G5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.