You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iMac's cursor is stuck in the upper left hand corner of the login screen and I can't move it and now I can't use my iMac. What can I do? My iMac is a 27 inch 2014 release (the thin one without retina display) and uses wireless mouse and keyboard.

My iMac's cursor is stuck in the upper left hand corner of the login screen and I can't move it and now I can't use my iMac. What can I do? My iMac is a 27 inch 2014 release (the thin one without retina display) and uses wireless mouse and keyboard.It runs OSX Mountain Lion (not sure which version) and is a 27 inch model.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)

Posted on Feb 20, 2016 12:27 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2016 1:47 PM

If you have already checked that it is not a battery issue. Try to boot up the system in Recovery Mode

To start your computer from Recovery, restart your Mac and hold down the Command and R keys at startup.

If you can move your mouse and type on your keyboard then it is not the keyboard or mouse.

Alternative to Recovery Mode, You can boot up in SAFE MODE just hold down the option key when you power up the unit.

If you can operate your keyboard and mouse in safe mode then more than likely there is something in your user account that is causing the issue.🙂

14 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 23, 2016 1:47 PM in response to JAKSM

If you have already checked that it is not a battery issue. Try to boot up the system in Recovery Mode

To start your computer from Recovery, restart your Mac and hold down the Command and R keys at startup.

If you can move your mouse and type on your keyboard then it is not the keyboard or mouse.

Alternative to Recovery Mode, You can boot up in SAFE MODE just hold down the option key when you power up the unit.

If you can operate your keyboard and mouse in safe mode then more than likely there is something in your user account that is causing the issue.🙂

Feb 21, 2016 5:50 AM in response to JAKSM

JAKSM wrote:

My iMac's cursor is stuck in the upper left hand corner of the login screen and I can't move it and now I can't use my iMac. What can I do? My iMac is a 27 inch 2014 release (the thin one without retina display) and uses wireless mouse and keyboard.It runs OSX Mountain Lion (not sure which version) and is a 27 inch model.

Just curious, a 2014 iMac shouldn't be able to install or run OSX 10.8 at all. How did you manage that?

Feb 27, 2016 4:47 AM in response to JAKSM

Guys, after troubleshooting, I found out that the problem was the mouse. When I started it in Safe mode and recovery mode, I noticed it could click, but it couldn't track or move the cursor. I tried to connect it to my MacBook, same result. Can click but can't track. Is there any way I can fix the mouse? I don't wanna spend a lot of money for a new one.

Aug 10, 2016 6:38 PM in response to Chaleemee

Could this be a software issue? My Mac was still using leopard when it conked out. A tech reset something inside and it revived this year. After the OSX update, I was still able to use my MacBook but now the keyboard and built in mouse pad not working. Also noticed that my MacBook is not shutting down when I close it and instead restarts back up again. Long pressing the pwr button solved this and a usb mouse helps to navigate in iTunes.

My iMac's cursor is stuck in the upper left hand corner of the login screen and I can't move it and now I can't use my iMac. What can I do? My iMac is a 27 inch 2014 release (the thin one without retina display) and uses wireless mouse and keyboard.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.