Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to update expired credit card on Apple Pay

I just received an updated credit card with new expiration date and security code. How do I update it in Apple Pay?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Feb 20, 2016 6:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2016 6:46 AM

Hi

It is not possible for you to update the expiry date or security code that is stored for a card within Apple Pay.

Each combination of payment card and device (eg watch or iPhone) is given a unique Device Account Number.

Some card issuers may automatically associate your new card with the existing Device Account Number, directly replacing the old card. This leaves you free to continue using the same card account via Apple Pay without needing to do anything yourself.

Other card issuers may require you to remove your old card from Apple Pay and to add the replacement card as a new card.

Before doing anything, check with your card issuer to learn which process they use and whether you need to take any action.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 20, 2016 6:46 AM in response to Cgalanti108

Hi

It is not possible for you to update the expiry date or security code that is stored for a card within Apple Pay.

Each combination of payment card and device (eg watch or iPhone) is given a unique Device Account Number.

Some card issuers may automatically associate your new card with the existing Device Account Number, directly replacing the old card. This leaves you free to continue using the same card account via Apple Pay without needing to do anything yourself.

Other card issuers may require you to remove your old card from Apple Pay and to add the replacement card as a new card.

Before doing anything, check with your card issuer to learn which process they use and whether you need to take any action.

Mar 5, 2016 10:44 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

That is mainly for updating cards not used with the iTunes Store. For cards used with the iTunes Store, you launch iTunes, then log into your account. Once logged in, you go to the line "Payment Type:" and click on "Edit". There you can edit the card type, number expiration date, CVC, and your billing address. I'm sure going through the Pay settings on your iPhone would work for the address info but it doesn't seem to work for the card number, expiration date & CVC.

Mar 5, 2016 10:56 AM in response to romad

That option provides a convenient way to initially add to Apple Pay a card that is already on file for your iTunes Store account.

There is no ongoing, automated link between iTunes and Apple Pay after the card has been added. As part of the built-in security and privacy features of Apple Pay, Apple does not even store or have access to the numbers of any credit, debit or store cards that you have added to Apple Pay.

Mar 5, 2016 10:39 AM in response to romad

To reiterate: it is not possible for the user to update the security code or expiry date when issued with a replacement for a card that has been added to Apple Pay. Nor is any information pulled from iTunes if the card details are instead updated there.

The new card details need to be either:

- Associated with your existing Device Account Number by your bank - which may do this automatically, or;

- Added by you as a new card (and the old one removed).

Only your card issuer can advise which method applies in any given instance.

Mar 5, 2016 10:30 AM in response to romad

This support document contains information on updating your credit card. Set up and use Apple Pay on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Update your card information, addresses, and contact information

You can change the addresses, email, or phone number you use for paying within apps at any time. Go to Settings > Wallet & Apple Pay to update your information. To update the billing address for a card, go to Settings > Wallet & Apple Pay, tap a card, then tap the billing address.

Mar 5, 2016 10:25 AM in response to Jonathan UK

Interesting. When setting up Pay, Apple said the card(s) you use with the iTunes Store can be entered just by adding the CVC: "If you have a supported credit or debit card on file with iTunes, enter the card’s security code." That tells me that Pay pulls data from your iTunes Store account so it should be able to pull the updated info.

Mar 5, 2016 3:24 PM in response to romad

I am sorry if my earlier reply was unclear. To rephrase:

When you receive a replacement card, you will either need to do nothing at all or you will need to add the replacement card to Apple Pay as a new card (and remove the old one).

If your bank has not yet published information about which method it uses, it would be best not to assume that this means they use one method or the other. Instead, contact your bank (by telephone, if necessary) and ask them.

Mar 5, 2016 11:05 AM in response to Jonathan UK

Weird. I went to the bank that issued the card and they don't even address how to update their cards in Pay. I guess once it is linked in their system to Pay, any changes are automatic.

One thing that ticked me off was my old card had NFC built-in so I could use it a locations that don't accept Pay; the replacement card went to the new chip and signature system so no more NFC.

Mar 5, 2016 11:11 AM in response to romad

romad wrote:

Weird. I went to the bank that issued the card and they don't even address how to update their cards in Pay. I guess once it is linked in their system to Pay, any changes are automatic.

As and when you are issued with a replacement card, if the information is neither provided with the card nor available online, it would be prudent to check with the card issuer, rather than to assume that the new card has been automatically added by your bank in place of the expiring card.

How to update expired credit card on Apple Pay

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.