Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Access my Time Capsule remotely.

Hi,

I want to know how i can access my Time Capsule remotely, because i will live in other city for some days every week, but the Time Capsule will stay at my real house.

But it will be nice access to put some new archives or open some that i already have inside, and this archives are no the backup. I don't care about the backup to access remotely.

I already search about this, but everything that a tried doesn't work.

I have a AirPort TimeCapsule 3TB (ME182AM/A)

Version: 7.7.3

I hope someone cal help me. Any further question just ask me!

Airport Time Capsule 802.11ac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Feb 20, 2016 8:47 AM

18 replies

Feb 20, 2016 9:46 AM in response to matheusmaus

A "Double NAT" would indicate that you have two routers in series with NAT enabled. Typically, the upstream or "main" router would have this enabled and the downstream router would not. That is, it would be in bridge mode.

Is your Time Capsule (TC) the only router in your current network configuration? What is the make & model of the Internet modem that it is directly attached to by Ethernet?

Feb 20, 2016 12:15 PM in response to matheusmaus

Then you will need to work with this router to open the necessary ports as described in the tip, specifically as called out in Method #3. Also note the second bulleted item under Prerequisites where you have the Extreme or Time Capsule downstream of another router (like you do). For this to work the Time Capsule has to be in bridge mode. Note: The tip was specifically written for AirPort base stations that are used as your "main" router.

If your Internet provider does not allow you to modify the router they provided you, then potentially only Method #1 may work for you.

Feb 20, 2016 12:39 PM in response to matheusmaus

It will still work in this condition, but as the warning message states, you may not get the performance you are looking for.

The solution is to enable UPnP on your Overtek router. Again, if you can't access the router's administrator page, you will have to ask your Internet provider to do this for you. You can download a copy of this router's user manual from here.

Feb 20, 2016 2:19 PM in response to matheusmaus

Is your Time Capsule in bridge mode? If it is not, it needs to be.

One test you can make:

• On your Mac go to /System/Library/CoreServices/Applications
  • Double-click on Network Utility to run it.
  • In the utility, select the Traceroute tab.
  • Enter icloud.com in the "Enter the network address to trace an internet route to" field.
  • Click on Trace.
  • In the results, look for the line beginning with number 2. If the address in that line is an IP address in one of the following IP ranges, your network is in a "Double NAT" configuration:
    • 10.n.n.n
    • 192.n.n.n

Feb 20, 2016 2:24 PM in response to matheusmaus

Did you have a MobileMe account before, and then, switched to an iCloud account?

If so, you will need to delete the old MobileMe account keys on your computer, as follows:

• To to Applications > Utilities > Keychain Access
  • From the list of Keychains on the left, choose System.
  • Click on the Kind column header to sort the list.
  • Select all keys of the kind: "Back to My Mac key."
  • Delete them. Note: You will need to enter your Mac's administrator password.
  • Quit Keychain Access.
  • Run System Preferences.
  • In iCloud preferences, deselect Back to My Mac, and then, select it again.

Access my Time Capsule remotely.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.