Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I swap SIM cards while phone is turned on - iPhone 6?

Been having some issues with my iphone 6. To determine if it was the device or the carrier (AT&T), I decided to do a little test. my husband and I are under a shared plan (different phone numbers) and both have iPhone 6's. So I swapped the SIM cards a couple times to see if the problem would replicate on my husbands phone. Did the test two different days, swapped the cards about twice each time, and replicated the problem. So not the device. Anyway, after I ran these tests, AT&T said I should have powered off the phones before switching each time. I did not do these. Kept the phones on, got a message that no sim was installed, then popped the other one and it registered. Apple website also seems to suggest to power off. Yet, when I went to an AT&T store to replace the SIM card a few weeks ago, a different rep with them said I didn't have to turn it off. Maybe it's just who you ask, but my question, for your thought, is....do you have to power down to switch the SIM card? Did I cause damage by keeping the phones on?

iPhone 6, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Feb 20, 2016 3:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2016 3:43 PM

No, you didn't damage anything. Any problems you might have caused would have been with the phone connecting to the network and most likely wouldn't have been permanent. Yes, turning the phone off is best practice. But, leaving it on is not the end of the world.

7 replies

Can I swap SIM cards while phone is turned on - iPhone 6?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.