Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes library on NAS shared with all Mac's

Okey so I have seen a lot of info on sharing iTunes on a NAS and I have read tons and tons of posts without finding a full solution.

So this is what I have today;

1 Macbook Pro 15"

2 Macbook Pro 13"

1 Mac mini (connected to the Hifi downstairs and my Samsung TV)

1 NAS Synology 216 Play with 2x3GB drives

Remote-app on my iOS devices so that I can change the music on the hifi without a computer

Everything is connected to the same WiFi of course

I want to move all my iTunes library into ONE on the NAS and then I want

1) To be able to access all the music on all computers

2a) Be able to add more music

b) sometimes I need to change details under a song/album to maybe change the genre or add lyrics etc

iTunes server on the NAS is create.

I have compiled all the music into ONE library on the Macbook pro 15" and used the following settings in iTunes under Advanced

- Keep iTunes Media folder organised

- Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library

- Share iTUnes Library XML with other applications

Also changed genres and everything on the songs/albums so that everything is the way i want it

Moved the iTunes folder with everything onto the NAS under Music/iTunes

Held down ALT-Key when starting iTunes and then I choose the Music/iTunes and then it took a few minutes and computer asked if it should copy all the files

so I said yes here.

Now it looks like I can share all music on the NAS, but I cant

1) Click on a song and edit it's genres, album name etc when i'm adding new music

QUESTIONS

So is it possible that i missed something hence why i cant edit?

Should I hold down the ALT-Key and direct library to the NAS server folder and let them copy all the files on the Mac Mini and the 2 13" Macbook Pro's as well?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), 15inc w 2 SSD 256 GB and 16 GB RAM

Posted on Feb 21, 2016 4:33 AM

25 replies

Feb 14, 2017 6:19 AM in response to Parre

Ok, so looks like finally have the solution I wanted and its working now for 6 months. Removed all old iTunes libraries and added everything on the NAS. Always mount my Music-NAS before I start iTunes and only use same Macbook if I add new songs to the library and it adds everything to the server, I can also delete any songs without any issues. Home sharing is ON. I sold my old connected airplay speakers and bought 2 Sonos Play 1 for the bedroom and they can also connect to my iTunes server and 2 weeks ago I added a Sonos Connect to my living room stereo which means I can listen to all the music on both speakers in bedroom and living room. Best thing is that the Sonos app syncs the iTunes library much more efficiently than iTunes it self and I don't experience any lagg in the music.

Feb 26, 2016 9:01 AM in response to Parre

Moved the iTunes folder with everything onto the NAS under Music/iTunes

Held down ALT-Key when starting iTunes and then I choose the Music/iTunes and then it took a few minutes and computer asked if it should copy all the files

so I said yes here.

This does not sound right. It should not need to copy anything. When you started with the alt/option key held down it should have asked you if you wanted to create or use a different library. You then select the iTunes Library.itl file inside the iTunes folder you just relocated on the NAS. IiTunes will, byt hte way, forget this location if you do not have the NAS up and running before starting iTunes each time.

Once you mention NAS then anything erratic in the behavior of iTunes is valid. People love the idea of a NAS for the very sharing you think you are doing (more on that later) but browsing this forum will reveal no shortage of posts about NAS issues with iTunes which people cannot explain.

Realize that while any computer can access this library only one computer can do so at a time. Because you have it set up so there is only one copy of the library file that file can only be open by one computer at a time. If that works for you then fine. If not there is no ideal alternative. You can make it so each computer has its own copy of the library file and only media are shared but then if you add an item using one library the others will not know about it and you will have to remember to add (or delete) the item from all the other libraries..

Feb 26, 2016 6:50 AM in response to Limnos

Hi,

this clears a bit for me. Did not know about only one computer can share the NAS library at the same time. I was unaware of this 😟 This means that the other computers has to close iTunes so that another can use it.

In a perfect world I would like to connect all my computers to the iTunes library on the NAS so that they can all access the music at the same time, allowing everyone to add new music to the NAS library and sync our iOS devices with whatever music we like.

Feb 26, 2016 7:10 AM in response to Parre

See Make a split library portable for some general background on ideal library structure. As Limnos has said switching libraries shouldn't cause any prompt regarding copying files. 😕

A workaround might be to have the library in the portable shape but then copy the library files out to each individual machine. Use one as the master library for making edits and then copy its version of the database and album artwork folder to the others after making a change. You wont be able to keep a central record of playcounts, but you should be able to access the media from more than one machine at a time.

tt2

Feb 26, 2016 9:01 AM in response to Limnos

Well my wife don't change anything, she just want to access the library from her MBP and sync which ever songs she want to her iPhone or iPad. I want to do the same and I'm the one responsible for adding more music to the library. Also connected the iTunes library via our stereo and the mac mini connected we have connected and which we use the Remote app to choose which music to play on the stereo.

Basically that is what I'm trying to do 🙂

Feb 26, 2016 10:09 AM in response to Parre

If you don't think there will be any collision of interests then do as turingtest2 describes in his second paragraph. One way is to put a copy of the entire library on the NAS as you have done and run one computer as the master computer using that copy of the library file. Copy the iTunes folder from that master library but omit the media folder -- just everything else. Put a copy of this trimmed folder on each computer and start iTunes using this library (alt/option key etc.). Hopefully it should look for the media on the NAS as long as the NAS is mounted. If it does not then it may be necessary to get the library to search for media on the NAS by finding one the file one broken link should use, then let iTunes find others.

Feb 27, 2016 7:48 PM in response to Parre

This may be decidedly obvious and not useful but have you tried setting up home sharing. Though i'm not a fan of the concept generally, I've got a similar set up as you, although my media is far less organised being held in multiple drives/directories etc.... but the home sharing thing generally does work at a basic level from what i've seen. I do know i can access media on computers other than my own MBP if they are on the network.... it can be a little clunky, but it works. Option B, one that I took ages ago is to get Plex.... it seems to work reasonably flawlessly across multiple devices without any of the iTunes trauma.

Feb 28, 2016 2:20 AM in response to Limnos

That sounds like a tedious solution to maintain 😟 must be a simple solution available.

MIchael - I have Home sharing enabled but I don't like it. Can't understand why it should be so hard

seems like most solutions are based on Spotify or other streaming solutions. I want to run my own music 🙂

Mar 4, 2016 6:20 AM in response to Parre

Okey so now I managed to at least get iTunes working one one computer and all iOS devices seems to sync against the new computer with the library on the NAS. Haven't tried if my MacMini connected to my stereo will have the same view as i have from this computer yet. Will have to close down and try some more this weekend since now has been all about finding all the missing songs in iTunes (labeled !) Some are found automatically, but +400 i have to add manually. *SIGH* maybe I should join the crowd and go Spotify, Tidal, Beats... 😟

Jul 25, 2016 2:42 AM in response to Parre

I seem not to get it right. I bought a Mac and all of my mp3's are on a NAS. I had the library on my mac mini. I was able to copy that library (ITL) to my new mac, but iTunes simply came with exclamation marks for all the songs. The songs point to my nas. They are still there. The only way I can get it working is to manually select all of my 5000 plus songs and point them to the NAS or to have all songs copied to my new MAC. Neither solution makes sense. Why would I want all of my songs copied ? I have been struggling for hours and reading a zillion posts, but this seems a common problem. Anyone any ideas ?

Jul 25, 2016 3:08 AM in response to allurenl

The "missing file" issue with exclamation marks happens if the file is no longer where iTunes expects to find it. Possible causes are that you or some third party tool has moved, renamed or deleted the file, one of its parent folders, or the drive it lives on has had a change of drive letter, or you've moved a non-portable library to a different path (see Make a split library portable for details). It is also possible that iTunes has changed from expecting the files to be in the pre-iTunes 9 layout to post-iTunes 9 layout, or vice-versa, and so is looking in slightly the wrong place.

Select a track with an exclamation mark, use Ctrl-I to Get Info, then click No when asked to try to locate the track. Look on the file tab for the location that iTunes thinks the file should be. Now take a look around your hard drive(s). Hopefully you can locate the track in question. If a section of your library has simply been moved, a folder renamed, or a drive letter has changed, it should be possible to reverse the actions. If the difference between the two paths is an additional Music folder in one path then this is a layout issue. I can explain further if that is the case.

In some cases iTunes may be able to repair itself if you go through the same steps with Get Info, or when playing a track, but this time click Locate and browse to the lost track. It may then offer to attempt to automatically fix other broken links. Although it says something like "use the same location" I think it expects to find the tracks in the same artist & album layout they were in previously, with one systematic change to the path.

If you want me to try to provide specific advice please post back the following details:

1. The location of the media folder under Edit > Preferences > Advanced
  2. The location of a sample missing track shown under Get Info > File > Location that begins file://localhost/
  3. The true path to the file whose details you gave in 2

tt2

Jul 25, 2016 3:28 AM in response to turingtest2

TT2, first of all: thank you for your quick reply. I had already read your article about a split library and that seems what I have or want to have. I have everything backed up, so there is no issue there. My NAS is ethernet connected. It shows as shared in Finder, not as device. In iTunes preferences I have under advanced "/Volumes/iTunes Bibliotheek op WD/iTunes/iTunes Media". That is not the NAS, that is an additional external harddisk. On that volume only resides the library. The actual mp3 files are on the NAS, " afp://Cloudy._afpovertcp._tcp.local/Muziek/Sonos Muziek op Cloudy. I could easily create a new library, but then everything shows as created today etc.

iTunes library on NAS shared with all Mac's

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.