Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"malformed address" AND "may not follow"

I have a weird outgoing mail error.

I have 4 email accounts. 3 work find and one can't send emails.

When I go to mail preferences -> select my account sg@domain.com and click on "edit SMTP Server list" I see that all my settings are fine and only one username or email address is listed for that email address sg@domain.com (the right email address).

HOWEVER... when I send the email address, it's showing that it's sending from two email address, one of which is a deleted outgoing mail server.

So instead of sending from "sg@domain.com”, it’s sending from “sg@domain.com sendit@domain.com

Somehow it kept in file the name sendit@domain.com even though that account has been deleted a long time ago and doesn’t show in the SMTP outgoing mail server settings, including in the advanced settings.

This is the error message:

The sender address sg@domain.com sendit@sheriffguirguis.com sendit@domain.com was rejected by the server ****.hostgator.com.

The server response was: <sg@domain.com sendit@domain.com: malformed address: sendit@domain.com may not follow <sg@domain.com

Select a different outgoing mail server from the list below or click Try Later to leave the message in your Outbox until it can be sent.

Sending from: S**** G**** <sg@domain.com sendit@domain.comsendit@domain.com>

It should also be noted that all my smtp servers were suddenly deleted from apple mail - I could receive emails for all 4 accounts, but not send emails. I was able to manually add the smtp servers successfully for 3 accounts with different domain names. But I'm experiencing that glitch for the email address for that one domain name. I looked in my cpanel and see that the old email address sendit@domain.com was also deleted at the hosting level. So it's somehow still existing in some file on my macbook pro.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), Apple Mail

Posted on Feb 21, 2016 3:29 PM

1 reply

Feb 21, 2016 6:19 PM in response to sguirguis

Please take each of the following steps that you haven't already tried. Stop when the problem is resoved.

Step 1

Mail associates a name with an address by looking up the address in the Contacts database. Do that yourself and correct the entry or entries.

Step 2

If the wrong name is associated with your own address, select your card in the Contacts application. Then select

Card Make This My Card

from the menu bar.

Step 3

Delete the unwanted address from the Previous Recipients list under the Window menu.

Step 4

The spelling checker may be falsely correcting the entry. Please select the incorrect entry and right-click or control-click. From the popup menu, select

Spelling and Grammar Show Spelling and Grammar

A small window will open. In the text box at the top, enter the incorrect text, then click Change and close the window.

Step 5

Quit Mail and Contacts. Back up all data.

Triple-click the line below on this page to select it, then copy the text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C:

~/Library/Application Support/AddressBook

In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You may not see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return. A folder named "AddressBook" should open.

Inside the folder there should be one or more files with a name beginning "AddressBook-v22.abcddb". Move those files to the Trash. Launch Contacts, then launch Mail and test. You might have to log out or restart the computer in order to see a change.

If the problem is resolved, empty the Trash.

"malformed address" AND "may not follow"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.