Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i write the network path?

How do i write the network path? need to type in for printer access to a network drive on my mac.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Feb 21, 2016 5:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2016 3:40 AM

If you have 'shared' a folder on your Mac to make it available for other devices i.e. your printer to access then you need to open System Preferences, then click on Sharing, then click on File Sharing.

Firstly this needs to be 'ticked' to enable File Sharing, and then you need to look at options and make sure SMB is also ticked and turned on. Then you need to look in the list of Shared folders and make sure the folder you want to use for the printer is listed there. If as an example the name of that folder is 'Scans' then the network path you want to use might look like the following.

\\192.168.1.11\Scans

(Change the IP address to match what is listed in the Sharing window on your Mac.)

Some printers however do things differently, they may have separate boxes for the address of the 'server', and for the name of the network share.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 22, 2016 3:40 AM in response to jharmss

If you have 'shared' a folder on your Mac to make it available for other devices i.e. your printer to access then you need to open System Preferences, then click on Sharing, then click on File Sharing.

Firstly this needs to be 'ticked' to enable File Sharing, and then you need to look at options and make sure SMB is also ticked and turned on. Then you need to look in the list of Shared folders and make sure the folder you want to use for the printer is listed there. If as an example the name of that folder is 'Scans' then the network path you want to use might look like the following.

\\192.168.1.11\Scans

(Change the IP address to match what is listed in the Sharing window on your Mac.)

Some printers however do things differently, they may have separate boxes for the address of the 'server', and for the name of the network share.

how do i write the network path?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.