Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iBook G4 with weird screen problem

I've been using my iBook G4 since 2008, os x 10.4.11, and never had any problem with it. Last year, I was ready to use it and when I turned it on, the screen was "weird" (as you can see on the picture below):

User uploaded file

It still make all sounds while starting up, but after the logo, it shows a pure blue screen and nothing else happens. I tried to boot with a Ubuntu CD, and even though it works, the screen is shown divided in half and it's hard to see what's on the screen (some letters looks like big white squares and stuff). I can still access all my files on it and even play some musics/videos I have there, but using like that, it starts to get warm and the screen gets worse. Tried to buy a cable for external screen but also got no results.

Any idea of what's the problem, or if there's a way to fix it? I don't have any installation CD because it came from Japan as a gift from someone who bought it from another person.

Thank you.

iBook, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Feb 21, 2016 5:33 PM

4 replies

Feb 21, 2016 8:29 PM in response to sonn3

You may be able to locate a retail 10.5 OS X Leopard DVD to use as a system install

disc and be able to check and reformat the hard drive, so you can be sure to have the

correct video drivers and other hardware support for the iBook G4.

Since there were several G4 build 12 and 14-inch iBook models, details are necessary

to be able to determine if Leopard 10.5 could run in it. -- If the computer processor is

faster than 867MHz with a minimum memory RAM installed of 512 MB+ it could work.

The first iBook G4 had one model with an 800MHz processor, that cannot run OS X 10.5.

(And without extra RAM, and large capacity HDD, with extra free-space for Virtual memory

even last 'mid-2005' iBook G4 1.33 ~ 1.42GHz won't like Leopard 10.5.8. Mine does not.)

The information printed on the iBook G4 case would be helpful for you to tell which

build iBook G4 that is, to match any other software (obsolete) you may find & run.

Certain video issues were known to exist for some users of the iBook G3 (white) and

the iBook G4 where graphic chip solder joints may have gotten lose or solder broken

and odd artifacts (or no display at all) may appear in screen. Without the correct OS X

as shipped, or later supported version (not to exceed 10.5.8 from retail DVD) to test

the unit may not be explored properly. A few repair shops may accept money to look

into one of these. To troubleshoot and attempt diagnosis, you need correct discs.

There may be an iFixit guide that could be helpful if you chose to look inside the iBook

however they are fraught with perilous content that may break, in the process of hoping

to replace or repair some other component. Be ye aware of dragons in uncharted waters.

Good luck! 🙂

Feb 21, 2016 8:36 PM in response to K Shaffer

It's a 1.0 ghz processor with 1gb RAM, but it got a 40gb HDD so I guess 10.5 is out of reach for this laptop. And I heard it's almost impossible to find the 10.4 CD right? But thank you for that, I'll look into it cause at least it's an option!
I live in Brazil, and I tried to take to a repair shop and all they said was that it was necessary to get a new mother board for $1000 and it was out of question. Also, they didn't even check on the laptop cause I asked some questions about it and they didn't knew how to answer so I'll have to try to fix it by myself.

But again, thank you. I'll first look into trying the Leopard DVD and then move on into opening it to see if I can fix!

Feb 22, 2016 2:42 AM in response to sonn3

There may be businesses that still repair logic boards on portables that old, so

they may have already repaired ones in stock; less weight than shipping whole

computer around. However any damages caused by take-apart & reassembly

can complicate the entire process; and the compromise is additional damages.

So the computer gets much further from practical at that point.

An older Mac mini could be a good idea. The older ones are

PowerPC such as the G4 iBook and PowerBook. Here's a link

to look at a few (before shipping, etc) • Mac mini -wegenermedia

repair guides iBook (all G3/G4) ifixit:

https://www.ifixit.com/Device/iBook

Apple iBook Specs (all iBook Technical Specs)

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/ibook/index-ibook.html

Companies in the US (and elsewhere) probably still repair those machines and

a few may have the entire machine in stock for about what you may pay to get

a logic board. A repaired computer. But the prices vary plus shipping and duty

can take a tolerable deal and mess it up. Shipping & duty costs could get you

a newer MacBook (circa 2006 to 2010) since they can be rather inexpensive.

So if the computer needs parts, it may be better to sell it to someone looking for some.

Repaired examples from wegenermedia category - iBook category Macbook - early

iBook G4 1.0ghz M9426LL/A 12.1" ....Shipping & Returns

some examples of companies who have parts and/or repair services, or fixed Macs, who could ship.

http://www.powerbookmedic.com/ http://wegenermedia.com/ PowerMax MacBook: 13-inch

There may be a source for parts in your region if you can locate other owners who've moved past

the old hardware and may have one sitting in storage that may need a new battery, hard drive, etc.

In any event...

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

iBook G4 with weird screen problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.