Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad 1/2 fix for slow performance (finally!)

After several years of frustratingly bad performance from my iPad 2 and original iPad, I finally figured out how to make it behave reasonably well again.

Before doing this "fix" (you may not like it!), even my iPad's menus were slow to respond. After the fix, everything runs smoothly again.

It turns out that native background apps, especially Mail, can be unbelievably hard on the iPads performance. You wouldn't think that when Mail wasn't the foreground app that it would affect anything --- but it does.

if you have lots of emails (read or unread, doesn't matter), or have a large calendar, and your menus are frequently jerky and the iPad seems to freeze every now and again for a few seconds, welcome to your "solution".

Simply remove your email and calendar accounts from the iPad. The simple act of accessing your mail through the web browser instead of using the Mail app may be all it takes to regain decent performance on your tablet.

For maximum performance, you may wish to continue on, stripping the iPad of every native function you can: turn off notifications, set the background image to black, turn off automatic updates, anything and everything in Settings that does something.

This explains why it is that doing a factory reset makes the iPad works well again. When we reset the iPad, there is no email account attached to the tablet, and everything runs smoothly. We add our email account, and after a little while, the tablet starts downloading and returning the tablet to misery once again.

I was ready to throw both my iPad 1 and 2 out the window, but they are now back in full service.

Hope this helps someone out there.

iPad 2

Posted on Feb 21, 2016 11:15 PM

3 replies

Feb 22, 2016 7:22 AM in response to cwm9

Your mail method is a little extreme, you might want to try all of my own below solutions in the futture.

All of my older iPads and older iPads I have upgraded/updated are running just peachy keen on the latest iOS without resorting to NOT using and deleting content in the iOS native Mail app.

Besides, with the native Mail App, when using iMAP, the actually mail stays on the mail server. It doesn't, actually, get downloaded or stored on an iDevice, itself.

When you create new folders in the iOS Mail App, you are, actually, creating new folders in your mail account/s on the the mail service servers. Not on your iDevice.

The only reason the Mail app would be causing performances issues is that you have mail set to automatically fetch mail at a time interval that may be too short and the iDevice is constantly pinging the mail servers for new mail every short few minutes or less.

I have my Mail app set for manual fetch, so my iDevices are not constantly checking for new email every few minutes or less.

Also, have Push mail turned off so mail won't constantly go out to the Internet to ping the mail server, either.

You really did not need to do what you did!

There were other mail settings you needed to alter.

Feb 22, 2016 7:15 AM in response to cwm9

A disclaimer.

I make no guarantees, expressed or implied, that any of my own procedures will return EVERY older iPad to a usable, running condition.

Try all of the following:

Try resetting All Settings found in the Settings App under General and in the right column under Reset.
Try resetting histories and deleting/resetting caches in all of the web browsers you use.
If you use Safari, these functions maybe in the Settings App under Safari.
Other web browsers have their settings inside of the running app, itself.
If your iPad has been activated for iCloud, in the Settings App under iCloud, to the right, under iCloud Drive, tap iCloud Drive and make sure Safari is turned off for saving Safari data to iCloud Drive.
Also, under iCloud in the Settings App, in iCloud Drive, disable the saving feature for any other apps that you DO NOT want data being saved automatically to iCloud Drive.
If using Safari is still causing issues,
Try changing/using another, different third party web browser.
I don't use iOS Safari too much any longer because I found it causing me some headaches on certain websites I, regularly, visit.
I commonly use another third party web browser, Perfect Web Browser (there are others that may suit your web browsing style better, so look at all of them first to see which third party browser may work better for you) and I never experience a lot of the issues that Safari was causing.

In the Settings App, under the Safari settings panel, tap the panel, in the righthand window turn off/disable Safari Suggestions.
In the Settings App under the General tab, to the right under Spotlight sesrch, try disabling the search under apps that really do not need a search, like some games, remotes, apps that really do not need to be searched, etc., to reduce the list for Spotlight to search.
Try turning on Reduced Motion.
This is found in the Settings App in the General tab the left panel.
In the right panel look under Accessibility, the look for Reduce Motion and turn this feature "On".
You should see an appreciable performance increase on all iPad 2, 3 and 4 models.
In the Settings App under the General Tab, in the right column, look for Background App Refresh and turn this setting to "off".
Try a reset of your iPad by holding down both the Home and sleep/wake buttons simultaneously until your iPad goes to black and restarts with Apple logo, then release the buttons.

Good Luck!

Feb 22, 2016 7:15 AM in response to cwm9

If not all of my suggested fixes or possible solutions have completely returned your iPad to acceptable, normal or improved performance,.

Here is my own modified backup/restore procedure that has already worked, successfully, for several iPad 2/3 users, so far!

I have done this and my iPad 2 and 3 are working like new, " out of the box" units!

THIS PROCEDURE DOES NOT RETURN YOUR iPAD TO ITS PREVIOUS iOS VERSION.

Also, as a disclaimer.

I make no guarantees, expressed or implied, that any of my own procedures will return EVERY older iPad to a usable, running condition.

First, connect your iPad to USB and sync and backup your iPad to iTunes (make sure,FIRST, your iTunes is up to the most latest version).

Then disconnect/eject your iPad from the computer.

From just the iPad, in the Settings App under the General setting, look in the right column for Reset option, then erase and reset your iPad to completely erase your iPad and then, again, from the iPad, set it up as a new iPad setup to factory "out of the box" operation.

Then reconnect your iPad to the computer and make sure to cancel the syncing, by tapping the small X to the left in the top center iTunes display box.

iTunes should detect your iPad. If iTunes begins to try and sync, again, cancel the sync.

Select Restore from Backup instead and pick your last backup to restore back to your iPad.

Once the restore is complete, finish setting up the iPad and let it sync back to iTunes you can either cancel the sync, again or let it backup, again.

Then disconnect the iPad.

Do one hard reset of your iPad by holding down both the Home and sleep/wake buttons simultaneously until your iPad goes to black and restarts with Apple logo, then release the buttons.

Once your iPad is back to the Home screen,

In the Settings App under the General tab, to the right under Spotlight sesrch, try disabling the search under apps that really do not need a search, like some games, remotes, apps that really do not need to be searched, etc., to reduce the list for Spotlight to search.

In Settings app, under the Safari settings panel, tap the panel and in the right hand window, turn off/disable Safari Suggestions.

Try turning on Reduced Motion.

This is found in the Settings App in the General tab the left panel.

In the right panel look under Accessibility, the look for Reduce Motion and turn this feature "On".

You should see an appreciable performance increase on all iPad 2, 3 and 4 models.

In the Settings App under the General Tab, in the right column, look for Background App Refresh and turn this setting to "off".

If you purchased any music from iTunes, you will need to redownload that content back to your iPad for playing directly from your iPad and not from Apple Music servers.

Also, if your iPad contained a lot of images in the Photos app, these will take time to regenerate the original AND thumbnail images themselves inside of the Photos app when you first launch it.

Good Luck!

iPad 1/2 fix for slow performance (finally!)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.