Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airplay issues with iPad Pro; brief and frequent connection drops

I have been having problems with airplay and the new Apple iPad pro. I am trying to use the iPad pro with an Apple TV via airplay to deliver content to my students in a college class. The specific software I use is 'Explain Everything', but this issue seems to relate to the iPad pro specifically.

I can connect to the AppleTv without issue. I can also connect the iPad pro to my MacBook Pro using Reflector 2 and airplay. The trouble is that no matter where I am (home or office network), the Airplay connection drops sporadically with the iPad pro. Most of the time is is just a quick drop and the end effect is a quick but highly annoying flickr of the screen but sometimes it is a full blown disconnect with the Apple TV and I have to reestablish the airplay connection. This problem happens both to the macbook pro and to the Apple TV. It also happens both at home and at work so it does not seem to be a wifi router problem nor an Apple TV or macbook problem.

The weird thing is that my iPad air does just fine with the same types of setups and does not drop connection, only the iPad pro. Now I suspect that this issue relates to the larger resolution of the iPad but I am not sure.

Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated for getting the airplay connection to be more stable.

iPad Pro Wi-Fi, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Feb 22, 2016 9:59 AM

4 replies

Feb 24, 2016 9:53 AM in response to Matt Evans

I noticed yesterday that while working on the iPad Pro, the iPad pro screen (with no airplay involved) is flickering while working with word. The flicker seems to occur when Word is auto-saving the document, so maybe the issue is that the processor is so taxed that it causes a screen flickr. 'Explain Everything' also autosaves when there is a drawing update to the screen, and I am now thinking that these two issues are related. Any thoughts? I would even appreciate any feedback for iPad Pro / Word users who notice any flicker.

Feb 27, 2016 9:36 PM in response to Matt Evans

HI

I have the exact same issue with my Ipad Pro. My Ipad Air has none of those issues.

I called Applecare, and they suggested it may be an issue with other videos that are on webpages for example.

So, I tried closing all apps, and keeping only my app that I use to view my TV on my ipad Pro on. I had no issues whatsoever when I airplayed it.

I then opened PHOTOS and my appleTV disconnected. I closed PHOTOS, and reconnected to appleTV and everything was working again.

I Then opened Facebook, and, same problem, it disconnected. Once FB closed, my appleTV reconnected.

THis looks like a SW issue which should be reported to apple

Airplay issues with iPad Pro; brief and frequent connection drops

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.