Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes wants to update my already up-to-date iPhone

A strange bug appeared on my iTunes today. I synced my iPhone with iTunes and it wanted to update my iPhone to iOS 9.2.1 from 9.2.1! I've already updated my software to iOS 9.2.1 within 1 or 2 days after the update's official release. I had no problem since then. But today, iTunes notified me that a software update is availabe. Thing is, neither iOS 9.3 nor another 9.2.x update has been released with the exception of beta updates. The "software update" part in my iPhone's settings show that my software is up-to-date but my iTunes wants to re-update my iPhone.

I didn't join beta update programme and my iPhone has never been jailbroken. Also my iTunes' software is up-to-date. What I must do to solve this strange and mysterious bug? Any ideas or solutions?

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 9.2.1, 64 GB, iTunes 12.3.2, Windows 8.1

Posted on Feb 22, 2016 10:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2016 10:11 AM

It’s not a bug. Apple patched iOS 9.2.1 to fix the error 53 issue without changing its version number; the patch will only appear when checking for updates from iTunes on a computer.

(139827)

39 replies

Feb 26, 2016 8:14 AM in response to Niel

Sounds like Apple decided to forego standard Revision Integrity rules on this release, by not rev'ing the version number. Is this counter to their quality systems or are they in the mode of doing whatever they want these days? While this may seem like a small thing, it points out an alarming trend in Apple's quality control, which is being reflected in their products.

Feb 26, 2016 8:18 AM in response to LSFyre

LSFyre wrote:

Sounds like Apple decided to forego standard Revision Integrity rules on this release, by not rev'ing the version number. Is this counter to their quality systems or are they in the mode of doing whatever they want these days? While this may seem like a small thing, it points out an alarming trend in Apple's quality control, which is being reflected in their products.

The update has a different build number, though I don't recall it off the top of my head. I believe it's what's called a slipstream update.

Feb 26, 2016 9:33 AM in response to LSFyre

LSFyre wrote:

No, the full version on your phone is ( or was) 9.2.1(13d15). The new version in the update is 9.2.1(13d20). The update notificaction left off the build number, but it still has a different full version number that follows accepted standards.

Feb 28, 2016 2:46 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Here's what happens when I attach my iPhone to my iMac:

1. The following message pops-up:

A new iPhone software version (9.2.1) is available for the iPhone “Mark's iPhone”. Would you like to download it and update your iPhone now?

2. I click on "download and update". I get this message:

There are purchased items on the iPhone “Mark's iPhone” that have not been transferred to your iTunes library. You should transfer these items to your iTunes library before updating this iPhone. Are you sure you want to continue?

3. I click "Contunue". I get this message:

iOS 9.2.1

This update contains security updates and bug fixes including a fix for an issue that could prevent the completion of app installation when using an MDM server.

For information on the security content of this update, please visit this website:

https://support.apple.com/HT20122

4. I click "Next" and "Agree". I get this message:

Enter the passcode on “Mark's iPhone” to continue this iOS update.

5. I unlock my iPhone. I get this message:

There was a problem downloading the software for the iPhone "Mark's iPhone". An unknown error occurred (1671).

I get this all the time. Maybe its a problem with the OS X beta. I'm running.

Thanks for your response to my email.

iTunes wants to update my already up-to-date iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.